1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free falling with air resistance question

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object falls under gravity and air resistance force bv. It is known there is a characteristic time τ=m/b such that the object comes close to the terminal velocity for t>>τ. Derive an exact expression for the distance d travelled at time t.

2. Relevant equations
    not sure, dv/dt=g-γv....(1) ,where γ=b/m, or v=v∞(1-e^(-γt))....(2) , v∞=g/γ...(3)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    the answer is d=mgτ/eb.
    First, I don't understand why cant I integrate equation (1) this way.....
    dv/dt=g-γv
    v=gt-γd
    d=(gt-v)/γ =gτ^2-gτ^2 =0 which is wrong

Then, I tried to integrate equation (2),
    d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))+C
    put t=0,v=0,d=0
    C=-v∞γ=-g
    so,
    d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))-g
    putting the information inside
    d=gτ(τ+(1/τe))-g
    =gτ^2 + g/e -g
    =(gτ^2e+g-ge) /e

PLEASE HELP , THX

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

dv/dt=g-γv is a differential equation which describes velocity as a function of time i.e. v(t). Velocity is not constant w.r.t. time but is a function of time .So, you can't integrate the RHS as ∫(g-γv)dt. You'll have to separate the appropriate variables.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

The answer given for d is true for t=τ and not t>>τ.

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4
    You can integrate that way (taking definite integrals in both sides with time points t=0 and ##t=\tau##) but ##v(\tau)## is not equal to ##g\tau## because the object doesn't do free fall exactly.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5
    Thanks. But at time t>>τ, I set dv/dt = 0, then dv/dt = g-γv , so itsn't v=gτ (1/γ = τ)?

7. Jul 10, 2016 #6
    yes that's correct. But this doesn't mean that d=0, it is still ##d=(gt-v)/\gamma## where ##t>>\tau## not ##t=\tau##

8. Jul 10, 2016 #7

cnh1995

Homework Helper

t>>τ implies that the velocity at time t is g/γ. At time τ, the velocity is still changing.

9. Jul 10, 2016 #8
    Oh I got it.:) But how to solve the question with equation (2) now?

10. Jul 10, 2016 #9
    You can continue with the initial approach and plug in ##v(\tau)## from the equation ##v(t)=v_{\infty}(1-e^{-\gamma t})##.

Or as you go by integrating (2) I see a mistake in the integration, it is ##\int -e^{-\gamma t}=\frac{e^{-\gamma t}}{\gamma}+C##

But you got me confused, you want d at time ##\tau## or d at time ##t>>\tau##?

11. Jul 10, 2016 #10
    Oh my god.... thanks for reminding me, now I've solved it

12. Jul 10, 2016 #11
    I think the question need me to find t tends to τ, as v at τ is the same as t>>τ ,so my dv/dt can't set to be 0 as the curve hasn't level off. Not sure about it

13. Jul 10, 2016 #12
    No sorry velocity at time ##t=\tau## is quite different from velocity at time ##t>>\tau##.

The velocity at time ##t=10\tau## is probably close enough to the final velocity ##v_{\infty}##

14. Jul 10, 2016 #13

cnh1995

Homework Helper

No. Terminal velocity is attained at t>>τ. As Delta2 said, it could be 10τ. In fact, the output is approximately equal to the steady state value after 5τ (99%). So practically, for any value of t after t=5τ, the output can be said to have reached steady state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted