Free particle wave function behavior

In summary, the conversation is about a question from Griffiths' Intro Quantum Mechanics about a free particle and finding the wave function, Phi(k), and Psi(x,t). The behavior of these functions for small and large a is discussed, and the uncertainty principle is mentioned. The conversation also includes a discussion on the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator and how Phi(k) represents a momentum distribution.
lants

Homework Statement

Griffiths Intro Quantum Mechanics free particle question.
Normalize wave function, find Phi(k), Psi(x,t), and comment on its behavior for small and large a.
The wave function given is Ae-a|x|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the correct Phi(k), but for the small a vs large a, I don't understand why Phi(k) corresponds to momentum. I see that there is a small spread with a sharper peak in Psi with a flatter, more spread out Phi, and a flatter more spread out Psi with a sharper, smaller spread Phi, but I don't see how this is an example of the uncertainty principle. I don't see from reading Griffiths how Phi is any indication of momentum.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Bookshop's closed at this time. Could you render the problem statement explicitly, so I can see a k too ? Or show what you have worked out so far ?

Eager to help, but without means,
BvU

Yeah I can do that in a few hours. I'm not sure how to use latex so I'll have to look that up since I don't see a way to graphically insert symbols.

In the meantime, this is the text in the book the problem refers to. It's from an older edition on my phone which doesn't have the practice problem. But I'm trying to understand how the Phi(k) corresponds to momentum. The book talking about their behaviors as an example of the uncertainty principle. I understand the behaviors, but I don't see how that integral that gives you Phi is momentum.

Here is the problem, and how Psi(x,0), Psi(x,t), and Phi(k) are constructed
Screen shot 2014-10-03 at 4.10.08 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-10-03 at 4.17.46 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2014-10-03 at 4.17.58 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2014-10-03 at 4.17.30 PM.jpg

Now I have found parts A-C fine, with [tex]
\Psi(x,0) [/tex] having a normalization constant of [tex]
\sqrt{\frac{a}{2\pi}} \\
\phi(k) = \frac{2a}{k^2+a^2}\sqrt{\frac{a}{2\pi}} [/tex]

For the last part, I understand how for small a Psi has a sharper peak and smaller spread, while phi is broader with a larger spread, and I see that for large a Psi is broad with a larger spread while Psi has a sharper peak, but I am failing to understand how this illustrates the uncertainty principle since I don't see how phi represents momentum. I thought phi (with the 1 over root 2 pi) would be the coefficients of the individual solutions, allowing you to represent Psi as a general solution (linear combination of solutions)

The ##e^{ikx}## are the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator: ##{\hbar\over i}{\partial \over \partial x} e^{ikx} = \hbar k e^{ikx}##, so the ##\phi(k)## is a momentum distribution. ##\phi(k)## is not the momentum itself (that is ##\hbar k##), but the amplitude of that momentum in the momentum distribution. For example: if ##\phi(k)=\delta(k_0)## (infinitely sharp), then ##\psi=e^{ik_0 x}## with only one single momentum ##\hbar k_0## (infinitely extended).

I think you 've got the picture allright: ##\phi(k)## and ##\psi(x)## are each others Fourier transforms: one wide -> the other sharp and vice versa.

thanks

1. What is a free particle wave function?

A free particle wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding a particle in a certain location in space. It describes the behavior of a particle that is not subjected to any external forces or constraints.

2. How does a free particle wave function behave?

A free particle wave function behaves according to the principles of quantum mechanics, which means that the particle's position and momentum cannot be precisely determined at the same time. The wave function also exhibits properties of interference and superposition, meaning that the particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation and its role in describing free particle wave function behavior?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a particle's wave function over time. It takes into account the particle's potential energy and kinetic energy, and is used to determine the probability distribution of the particle's position at any given time.

4. How is the behavior of a free particle wave function affected by its surroundings?

A free particle wave function is not affected by its surroundings, as it is not subjected to any external forces or constraints. However, if the particle interacts with other particles or its surroundings, the behavior of its wave function may change due to the principle of superposition.

5. Can a free particle's wave function be measured directly?

No, a free particle's wave function cannot be measured directly. The wave function is a mathematical representation of the particle's probability distribution in space, and it is only through repeated measurements that we can infer the behavior of the particle's wave function.