Freezing of blood. What happens to it?

• Medical
  • Thread starter evidenso
  • Start date
Hey
I have to do some spectroscopy of whole blood. But I can only get freezed blood. Is freezed blood different from 20 degree blood. Any chemical differences? does freezing destroy elements of blood.

regards
MB

Answers and Replies

Hi evidenso,

Blood consists of about 50% water, and the rest are blood cells. Freezing the water will cause ice crystals to form, which will subsequently kill the blood cells (kinda like ice shards popping balloons). However, this won't be apparent until you thaw the blood.

If you're doing spectroscopy, the actual proteins, blood cells and molecules probably won't change much, but ice does have slightly different density to water. What kind of spectroscopy are you doing?

Hi evidenso,

Blood consists of about 50% water, and the rest are blood cells. Freezing the water will cause ice crystals to form, which will subsequently kill the blood cells (kinda like ice shards popping balloons). However, this won't be apparent until you thaw the blood.

If you're doing spectroscopy, the actual proteins, blood cells and molecules probably won't change much, but ice does have slightly different density to water. What kind of spectroscopy are you doing?

OK thanks.
I have to do Raman spectroscopy of the blood. By killing the bloodcells, does they only "pop"?, bacause i need the same (or almost the same) scattering conditions from them as in whole blood

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Clinical frozen blood doesn't have burst blood cells - otherwise it wouldn't be much use to the patient, glycerol is added to stop this
But donated whole blood may still have been processed to remove white blood cells and plasma, also a few chemicals are added to stabilise it which might have an effect on your results.

Hi evidenso,

THANK YOU jaseh86