1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freq. of small oscillations in two pendulums

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two pendulums, I and II. I consists of a bob of mass 2m at the end of a rod of length L. II consists of one bob of mass m at the end of a rod of lenght L and another bob of mass m halfway up the road, at L/2. What is the ratio of the frequency of small oscillations of pendulum II to that of pendulum I?

2. Relevant equations

As far as I know, for small oscillations, the frequency is given by sqrt(g/L), where g is the acceleration of gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum. Therefore, the frequency of small oscillations is proportional to sqrt(1/L).

3. The attempt at a solution

if wII is the frequency for pendulum II and LII is the length of pendulum II, and wI is the frequency for pendulum I and LI is the length of pendulum I:

wII/wI = sqrt(1/LII)/sqrt(1/LI)

As I understand it, for an ideal pendulum, L refers to the position of the bob. The way I saw it, the "Bob" of pendulum II is located at the center of mass of the two Bobs. since one is at L and the other is at L/2, the center of mass is at 3L/4. Therefore:

wII/wI = sqrt(4/3)/sqrt(1/1) = sqrt(4/3)

However, the answer is actually sqrt(6/5) !!! Any Ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Maybe consider the frequency of a compound pendulum.

f = (m*g*L / I)1/2/ (2 * π)

Aren't you going to want to be interested in the moment of inertia and not just the center of mass?

Edit: as davieddy points out the L in this case is the distance to the center of mass

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    L (in your formula) is the distance of the center of mass from the pivot,
    not the L specified in the question.

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Thanks for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook