Frequency doubling of monolithic Nd:YAG laser in external enhancement cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a LiNbO3 crystal for frequency doubling a laser operating at 1064 nm. The desired non-linear conversion efficiency of 0.04 %/W and constant fundamental power throughout the crystal are assumed. The crystal length required in the plane wave approximation is determined using a Gaussian focus waist of 10x10^-6m. The calculation of the fundamental intensity using the Gaussian waist value is discussed, and the individual requests for pointers and clarification are made.
damien88
1. LiNbO3 is a negative uniaxial crystal. Consider a LiNbO3 crystal used for frequency doubling a laser operating at 1064 nm. The non-linear coefficient is d=3.4x10-23. For the setup considered it is desirable to have a non-linear conversion efficiency of 0.04 %/W,
Assume constant fundamental power throughout the crystal. Determine the crystal length required in
i. the plane wave approximation assuming a Gaussian focus waist of 10x10^-6m

Ok, so I have calculated the refractive index n0 and ne and established phase matching is possible in the previous question. Now I was intending to use the equation for the second harmonic intensity to help with calculating the crystal length but my problem is how I calculate the fundamental intensity. I have spent a lot of time on it but I don't feel like I have a very good grasp of the question itself and was hoping for any pointers as to where I should look to begin solving this question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I should add, I am unsure as to what I should use the gaussian waist value for. Is there a way for me to calculate the fundamental power using this?

Thanks again

1. What is frequency doubling of a monolithic Nd:YAG laser?

Frequency doubling is a process in which the frequency of a laser beam is doubled, resulting in a higher energy output. A monolithic Nd:YAG laser refers to a laser system that uses a single crystal of neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet as the gain medium.

2. What is an external enhancement cavity?

An external enhancement cavity is an optical setup that is used to amplify and stabilize the output of a laser. It consists of a series of mirrors and other optical elements that trap and amplify the laser beam, resulting in a more powerful and stable output.

3. How does frequency doubling in an external enhancement cavity work?

In this process, the laser beam from the monolithic Nd:YAG laser is directed into the external enhancement cavity, where it is amplified and stabilized. The laser beam then passes through a nonlinear crystal, which doubles its frequency. The resulting beam is then directed back into the cavity for further amplification and stabilization.

4. What are the potential applications of frequency doubling in an external enhancement cavity?

Frequency doubling in an external enhancement cavity can be used in a variety of applications, including laser micromachining, medical procedures, and communication technologies. The higher energy output and stability of the laser beam make it useful in precision cutting, medical treatments, and high-speed data transmission.

5. What are the advantages of using an external enhancement cavity for frequency doubling?

There are several advantages to using an external enhancement cavity for frequency doubling, including increased energy output, improved beam quality, and better stability and control of the laser beam. Additionally, the setup can be easily adjusted and optimized for different applications, making it a versatile tool for various scientific and industrial purposes.