1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency doubling of monolithic Nd:YAG laser in external enhancement cavity

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    1. LiNbO3 is a negative uniaxial crystal. Consider a LiNbO3 crystal used for frequency doubling a laser operating at 1064 nm. The non-linear coefficient is d=3.4x10-23. For the setup considered it is desirable to have a non-linear conversion efficiency of 0.04 %/W,
    Assume constant fundamental power throughout the crystal. Determine the crystal length required in
    i. the plane wave approximation assuming a Gaussian focus waist of 10x10^-6m

Ok, so I have calculated the refractive index n0 and ne and established phase matching is possible in the previous question. Now I was intending to use the equation for the second harmonic intensity to help with calculating the crystal length but my problem is how I calculate the fundamental intensity. I have spent a lot of time on it but I don't feel like I have a very good grasp of the question itself and was hoping for any pointers as to where I should look to begin solving this question.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2
    I should add, I am unsure as to what I should use the gaussian waist value for. Is there a way for me to calculate the fundamental power using this?

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook