1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle determination of Sum-Frequency Generation in BBO

1. May 31, 2015 #1
    Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have difficulties to get the correct angles for a third-order autocorrelator and I hope you can help me.
    In my setup are two BBO Crystalls, the first for SHG (Second-harmonic Generation) and the second for SFG (Sum-Frequency Generation).

The Laser is a ultrashort-pulse Ti:Sapphire (λ_1 around 800 nm), the BBO Crystals are 50 µm big.

The calculation for the first BBO (SHG) wasn't really easy (I didn't have a "Nonlinear Optics" class), but I needed only to search for one variable, Θ
    For my parameters, I got around θ= 28,65° (as turning angle for the crystal)
    The complete calculation is here: https://www.overleaf.com/2792476gxqntk

The SFG is Type-II, so non-collinear and I need to determine $$θ_1, θ_2$$ (from the incoming rays) and Θ, the optical axis of the crystal. All I got are two Equations, which is rather difficult (for me) to solve.

2. Relevant equations
    In general, the equations are:
    $$ω_1+ω_2=ω_3$$
    and
    $$k_1 + k_2 = k_3$$

In the more specific case of SFG in o-e-o Configuration, these are the equations:
    $$n_o(ω)\cdot sin(Θ_1) = n(θ+θ_2)\cdot sin(θ_2)$$
    $$n_o(ω) \cdot cos(Θ_1) + n(θ+θ_2) \cdot cos(θ_2)=2\cdot n(Θ,2ω)$$

I have found two possible ways to calculate the angles:

The first is similar to the calculation of non-collinear SHG like in this picture from "The fundamentals of photonics"(Saleh&Teich,2007) which I wanted to transfer to SFG.
    [CH-21]
    lSAFE1A.png
    Here we have $$θ_1, θ_2$$ and the crystal axis $$θ$$

Another attempt is, that there is $$θ_1, θ_2$$ and $$θ_3$$ as angle for each beam.

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first way (like in the fundamentals of photonics) I calculated the following:
    https://www.overleaf.com/2795897bqfyps

which results in
    \begin{align}
    n_1&=n_o(\omega) \\
    n_2&=n_e=n(\Theta+\Theta_2,2\omega)=\sqrt{\left( \dfrac{\cos^2(\Theta+\Theta_2)}{n_o^2(2\omega)}+\dfrac{\sin^2(\Theta+\Theta_2)}{n_e^2(2\omega)} \right) ^{-1}} \\
    n_3&=n_e=n(\Theta,3\omega)=\sqrt{\left( \dfrac{\cos^2(\Theta)}{n_o^2(3\omega)}+\dfrac{\sin^2(\Theta)}{n_e^2(3\omega)} \right) ^{-1}}
    \end{align}

For the second way, I got the following results:

\begin{align}
    n_1&=n_o(\omega) \\
    n_2&=n_e=n(\Theta_2,2\omega)=\sqrt{\left( \dfrac{\cos^2(\Theta_2)}{n_o^2(2\omega)}+\dfrac{\sin^2(\Theta_2)}{n_e^2(2\omega)} \right) ^{-1}} \\
    n_3&=n_e=n(\Theta_3,3\omega)=\sqrt{\left( \dfrac{\cos^2(\Theta_3)}{n_o^2(3\omega)}+\dfrac{\sin^2(\Theta_3)}{n_e^2(3\omega)} \right) ^{-1}}
    \end{align}

My Question(s):

Which is the correct way to embed these angles?

And I always get only two equations but three variables, so the system is undetermined. What are some tricks to solve such a system? I have access to matlab and tried my luck with fsolve(…) or made 3 nested for loops, to test between -90° and +90° for each angle if the equations are 0.

But I had no luck so far.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Eoraptor

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2
    I made a small mistake:
    These are the equations from the SHG exercise (from the book) and are not the equations for SFG

The SFG equations (my first Version) would be:
    $$n_o(ω)\sin(Θ_1)=2n(θ+θ_2,2ω)⋅sin(θ_2)$$
    $$n_o(ω)⋅cos(Θ_1)+2n(θ+θ_2,2ω)⋅cos(θ_2)=3⋅n(Θ,3ω)$$​

The equations under "3. The attempt at a solution" should be correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted