Nd:YAG laser optical system setup

In summary, the conversation is about troubleshooting an optical system that was previously set up by someone else. The problem is that the laser is emitting red light instead of the desired 1064 nm emission. The person asking for help is not experienced in optical system setups and is trying to use a THG of 1064 nm emission from Nd:YAG. It is suggested that the issue could be with the non-linear optical crystal or that the laser may be operating at a different wavelength. Further information is requested about the laser's pump and it is determined that the issue may be with the xenon flashlamp or a damaged crystal.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there anyone who has experience in setting up optical system for exciting a sample using Q-switch mode of Nd:YAG laser? I am currently looking at the optical system which I did not setup (someone else did, but the person is absent and cannot contact).

I have no background whatsoever in optical system setups, and I have a problem that the laser is emitting red light for some reason. I am currently trying to use THG of 1064 nm emission from Nd:YAG (355 nm). However, I do not know the diagnostics of this optical system when it's not working right.

What can be wrong? Could it be the non-linear optical crystal?

Science news on Phys.org
I know most Nd:YAG lasers operate at 1064 nm, but there are other wavelengths that exist as well. Is it possible that your laser is actually operating at, for example 1320 nm and you are seeing its second harmonic (660 nm), which would be red and visible?

sorry, i forgot to mention that the laser is emitting green pulse laser, but also at the same time, in much much lower intensity, red light with large cross section.

How is the laser pumped? Are you sure the red light is not coming from the pump laser, which is usually indeed red diode laser?

The laser is pumped by a flashlamp. The pump color is white.

Most likely xenon flashlamp

1. What is a Nd:YAG laser?

A Nd:YAG laser is a type of solid-state laser that uses a neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet crystal as the active medium. It produces a near-infrared wavelength of light at 1064 nanometers and can be used for a variety of applications including cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

2. How does the optical system setup for a Nd:YAG laser work?

The optical system setup for a Nd:YAG laser consists of several components, including a laser diode pump source, a resonator cavity, and output couplers. The pump source provides energy to excite the neodymium ions in the crystal, which then emit photons through stimulated emission. These photons bounce back and forth between the mirrors in the resonator cavity, amplifying as they pass through the crystal. Finally, the output coupler allows a small portion of the amplified light to pass through and create the laser beam.

3. What factors should be considered when setting up a Nd:YAG laser optical system?

There are several important factors to consider when setting up a Nd:YAG laser optical system. These include the alignment and stability of the components, the choice of laser crystal and its orientation, the selection of appropriate optics and coatings, and the control of thermal effects. It is also crucial to ensure that the laser is operating within its safe operating parameters to prevent damage to the components.

4. How can the efficiency of a Nd:YAG laser optical system be optimized?

The efficiency of a Nd:YAG laser optical system can be optimized by carefully selecting and aligning the components, minimizing losses due to reflection or absorption, and controlling the temperature of the laser crystal. Additionally, using a high-quality pump source and properly maintaining the laser can also improve its efficiency.

5. What are some common challenges when setting up a Nd:YAG laser optical system?

Some common challenges when setting up a Nd:YAG laser optical system include achieving precise alignment of the components, managing thermal effects, and minimizing losses due to scattering or absorption. Other challenges may include finding the appropriate optics and coatings for specific applications and troubleshooting any issues that may arise during the setup process.