1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of a mass bobbing up and down in water

1. Nov 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This was a test question I had today but basically, initially the mass is at rest as the buoyant force opposes the force of gravity. Then we push it down X meters and let it go. This can be described by SHM. We are also given the density of water, a cross sectional area of the mass, and the actual mass, M.

2. Relevant equations
    A=area (not amplitude)
    X_0= equilibrium position
    X_new= furthest value it can be bobbed up or down
    Archimede's Principle
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Net force=mg-A*(X_0+X_new)*rho_w*g note that this is zero at the equilibrium point where X_new equals 0.
    ma=mg-A*(X_0+X_new)*rho_w*g
    a=g-(A*(X_0+X_new)*rho_w*g)/m

The general form of a SHM equation is x(t)=Acos(ωt) which can be solve to x''(t)=-ω^2Acos(ωt)

I assumed ωt to be 0 so as we are using the amplitude. We know the amplitude to be X_0+X_new however I chose X_0 to be zero for simplicity (I know this isn't correct as the volume would be zero but this was just the position). Thus, the amplitude is now X_new. I then set the acceleration equal to x''(t) to solve for ω:

g-(A*X_new*rho_w*g)/m=-ω^2X_new

ω=sqrt(-g/X_new+(A*rho_w*g)/m)

If anyone can confirm this, that'd be awesome!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The differential equation contains the constant term mg. The solution for X_new is SHM, but X_0 is not zero. It is the depth in equilibrium. You have to find it with the condition a=0, X_new=0.

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

SHM occurs when the restoring force obeys Hookes law, f = -kx. If you can show that the restoring force for the bob has this form and find k, then you can invoke the standard expression for the frequency of a mass-spring system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted