Freshwater (industrial scale) from seawater, on sunlight

In summary: Some publications and reports did that, you can check those.I believe this idea to be worth the effort of making it work.Do you really think such a simple and obvious idea would not have been tested many times? There are not many systems around using it. What does that tell you?...probably over 1000
ReneVeerman
i have this idea to produce fresh water for farming and all the other uses of fresh water, from seawater, on sunlight, using mostly/only off-the-shelf parts..

i am currently not able to pursue this idea myself due to financial constraints, so i thought i'd float the idea here looking for some constructive feedback.. I'm also not a mechanical engineer, i have studied software engineering, so i have a couple of specific hurdles with the engineering that i'd like your feedback on..

it starts with pvc tubing bringing seawater to a desert/climatically-hot area.. the pvc tubing does not need to be raised above ground level but rather be just laid on the ground to preheat the seawater.
at the conversion site, you'd have multiple evaporation chambers made out of black plastic funnels, one normally upright beneath one inverted (so narrow part pointing straight up) and tied together using black ducktape perhaps.

problem 1 is maintaining a stable water level in the lower (upright, narrow part of the funnel pointing down) funnels, and bringing new seawater to those lower funnels over terrain that varies in height as well (potentially for several miles)..

problem 2 is the condensation of vaporized freshwater from the 2-funnels devices back into liquid form for transportation to a farming area (which is suspect are pentiful), any area that could be farmed if it would receive a stable freshwater supply..

this idea is copylefted and donated to humanity by me. you are free to implement it entirely on your own and perhaps even turn it into a business where you take a modest percentage of revenue (the food output) to make the thing economically sustainable and interesting-to-scale-up..

Engineering news on Phys.org
ReneVeerman said:
this idea is copylefted and donated to humanity by me.
No, this idea is over 100 years old, probably over 1000. And there are various technical challenges which don't make it practical on an industrial scale in most places.

Corrosion is a huge issue, how to get rid of the salt water residue is one, how to pump seawater into the system is one, ...

Please list all the technical challenges in as detailed a manner as you can, ok.
I believe this idea to be worth the effort of making it work.

ReneVeerman said:
Please list all the technical challenges in as detailed a manner as you can, ok.
Various publications and reports did that, you can check those.
ReneVeerman said:
I believe this idea to be worth the effort of making it work.
Do you really think such a simple and obvious idea would not have been tested many times? There are not many systems around using it. What does that tell you?

mfb said:
...probably over 1000

Yup.
per wiki
Solar desalination
History
Methods of solar distillation have been employed by humankind for thousands of years. From early Greek mariners to Persian alchemists, this basic technology has been utilized to produce both freshwater and medicinal distillates. Solar stills were in fact the first method used on a large scale to process contaminated water and convert it to a potable form.
In 1870 the first US patent was granted for a solar distillation device to Norman Wheeler and Walton Evans. Two years later in Las Salinas, Chile, Charles Wilson, a Swedish engineer, began building a direct method solar powered distillation plant to supply freshwater to workers at a saltpeter and silver mine. It operated continuously for 40 years and produced an average of 22.7 m3 of distilled water a day using the effluent from mining operations as its feed water.

ReneVeerman said:
"detailed"? Ummmm... no.
Wiki lists a couple of problems: Problems with Thermal Systems

mfb said:
Corrosion is a huge issue
Plastic pipe:
Eliminating Corrosion
GF Piping Systems was called in as a possible source to supply a solution to the plant’s saltwater corrosion problem. GF recommended polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) and polyethylene (PE) piping systems as the solutions for eliminating the saltwater corrosion. These thermoplastics are highly resistant to salt solutions...
, how to get rid of the salt water residue is one,
Harvest the salt!
how to pump seawater into the system is one
Find a manufacturer who specializes in seawater pumps: Warren

When in doubt, let someone else solve your problem.

@OmCheeto: There are solutions to all those issues, sure, but they all increase the costs.

thanks for the details provided.. i'll certainly look into them within a week and possibly continue this thread

mfb said:
@OmCheeto: There are solutions to all those issues, sure, but they all increase the costs.
Well, the title includes the phrase "industrial scale", so I figured money was no object.
But, as my second reference points out; "The project never received enough funding, and the company was declared insolvent in 2014."
So, yes. Costs are important.
I think we covered some cost cutting measures in Ivan's "Algae to the rescue" thread.
I believe I mentioned that tides can replace pumps. But that somewhat limits the location.
As I responded

OmCheeto said:
"detailed"? Ummmm... no.

There are a billion and one "technical challenges". Ain't nobody got time for that.

And since this isn't a local problem
Om said:
Fact #6: Portlanders only consume 20 billion gallons of water per year.
Fact #7: We dump 220 billion gallons of excess water into our river, because we have too much.
[ref]

I ain't going to worry about it, no more.

1. What is the process for extracting freshwater from seawater on an industrial scale?

The process for extracting freshwater from seawater on an industrial scale is known as desalination. This involves using various methods such as reverse osmosis, distillation, or electrodialysis to remove the salt and other minerals from seawater, leaving behind freshwater.

2. How is sunlight used in the process of producing freshwater from seawater?

Sunlight is used in the process of producing freshwater from seawater through the use of solar-powered desalination plants. These plants use solar energy to power the desalination process, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels and making the process more sustainable.

3. What are the benefits of using sunlight for freshwater production from seawater?

Using sunlight for freshwater production from seawater has several benefits. It is a renewable and abundant energy source, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels. It also reduces the cost of freshwater production, making it more accessible for communities that may struggle with access to clean water.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using sunlight for freshwater production from seawater?

One potential drawback of using sunlight for freshwater production from seawater is the initial cost of setting up solar-powered desalination plants. These plants require a significant investment and may not be feasible for all communities. Additionally, the efficiency of these plants can be affected by weather conditions and may not be suitable for all geographic locations.

5. How can the production of freshwater from seawater using sunlight be made more sustainable?

To make the production of freshwater from seawater more sustainable, research and development efforts are focused on improving the efficiency of solar-powered desalination plants and reducing their environmental impact. This includes finding more environmentally friendly materials for the desalination process and implementing recycling and reuse strategies for the waste products generated during the process.