1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresnel Lens Array - Focal Point Question

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Hello, all,

I am using 9 fresnel lenses (~1x1' per lens) and 9 water blocks for a solar water heater. Each fresnel lens is positioned so that a water block below is heated.

A pump is used to pump the water through the system.

However, I have one question...

I have all of my fresnel lenses arrayed on a single plane. Will the focal point of each lens still land directly on the waterblock underneath?

I am unable to test this right now because it would take a lot of work to move the water heater to the roof and it is still being constructed in the lab. From using a small point source object (light bulb) in the lab I can see that it does indeed affect the position of the focal point on the water blocks (some are aligned and others are not). I am hoping that since the sun is so far away that it would have far less affect?

Thank you for your time,

Fritz Laun

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    You are correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook