How Effective Is a Fresnel Lens in Transporting Light Through Fiber Optics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Fritzo130
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have a 12x12" fresnel lens and I want to place a 14mm diameter fiber optics cable at the focal point to transport the light ~2.5 ft.

Would there be any heat loss? And what percentage of the light would exit the fiber optics?

Thanks,

Fritz Laun
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is incompletely specified: what is the acceptance angle of the fiber? What is it made of?

14mm is a (ahem) large diameter for a fiber- is it a fiber bundle? or a light pipe? Perhaps a liquid light guide?
 
The fresnel lens would have its focal point hitting normal to the end of the fiber optic cable.

All I know about the material of the fiber optic cable is that is a "poly-rubber plastic".

It is a single, solid, 14mm fiber optic end glow cable that is PVC jacketed.