1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freuuency: Variations of a String

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a problem and I would appreciate any help or guidance. Thank you very much!

---

1. A guitar string has a frequency of 2048 Hz. If both the tension and length are doubled, what is the new frequency of the string?

I know that the [tex]\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{\sqrt{T_1}}{\sqrt{T_2}}[/tex] and that [tex]\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{L_2}{L_1}[/tex].

My problem is that here, I do not know how I can find the new frequency when both factors are done simultaneously.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

malty

Gold Member

Don't overcomplicate it! Just remember that the line density [tex]\mu[/tex] is constant.

Hint:

[tex] f_1=\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] find an expression for [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms on an integer times [tex]f_1[/tex]

P.s There is a homework thread ya know;)

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply, malty.

Could you please expound on your answer a bit further? I am still lost. In particular, I am confused by density and how to "find an expression for [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms on an integer times [tex]f_1[/tex].

With regards to the homework thread, I apologise for posting here as I was not aware of it. If a moderator wishes to move this thread, please do so.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

malty

Gold Member

A moderator already moved it:smile:

Ok, take the formula [tex] f=\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

We know [tex] \mu[/tex] is constant, so that will be same the for both [tex] f_1 \hspace{4} and \hspace{4} f_2[/tex] so we can ignore it completely.

Write an equation for [tex]f_1[/tex] in terms of T and L and [tex]\mu[/tex]
    Now look at your tension T and compare them for both [tex] f_1 \hspace{4} and \hspace{4} f_2[/tex] Next do the same for your length. L. You should be able then to take [tex]f_2[/tex] and write an equation for it in terms of [tex]f_1[/tex] e.g Tension is equal to 2T for [tex]f_2[/tex] and length equals 2L sub these into your equation and see what you get . . .

Rearrange it to get [tex]f_2[/tex] in the form of [tex]Cf_1[/tex] where C is some constant.
    => [tex] f_2=C*\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

Note: line density [tex]\mu[/tex] may also be refered to as mass per unit length

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?