Freuuency: Variations of a String

• Thread starter vertciel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary: Greek letter "mu".In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the new frequency of a guitar string when both tension and length are doubled. The formula f = \frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}} is mentioned, and the group works through using it to determine an expression for f_2 in terms of an integer times f_1. The concept of line density \mu is also mentioned.
vertciel
Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a problem and I would appreciate any help or guidance. Thank you very much!

---

1. A guitar string has a frequency of 2048 Hz. If both the tension and length are doubled, what is the new frequency of the string?

I know that the [tex]\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{\sqrt{T_1}}{\sqrt{T_2}}[/tex] and that [tex]\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{L_2}{L_1}[/tex].

My problem is that here, I do not know how I can find the new frequency when both factors are done simultaneously.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vertciel said:
Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a problem and I would appreciate any help or guidance. Thank you very much!

---

1. A guitar string has a frequency of 2048 Hz. If both the tension and length are doubled, what is the new frequency of the string?

I know that the [tex]f1/f2 = \frac{\sqrt{T1}}{sqrt{T2}}[/tex] and that [tex]f1/f2 = L2/L1[/tex].

My problem is that here, I do not know how I can find the new frequency when both factors are done simultaneously.

Don't overcomplicate it! Just remember that the line density [tex]\mu[/tex] is constant.

Hint:

[tex] f_1=\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] find an expression for [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms on an integer times [tex]f_1[/tex]

P.s There is a homework thread you know;)

Thanks for your reply, malty.

Could you please expound on your answer a bit further? I am still lost. In particular, I am confused by density and how to "find an expression for [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms on an integer times [tex]f_1[/tex].

With regards to the homework thread, I apologise for posting here as I was not aware of it. If a moderator wishes to move this thread, please do so.

Last edited:
A moderator already moved it:smile:

Ok, take the formula [tex] f=\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

We know [tex] \mu[/tex] is constant, so that will be same the for both [tex] f_1 \hspace{4} and \hspace{4} f_2[/tex] so we can ignore it completely.

Write an equation for [tex]f_1[/tex] in terms of T and L and [tex]\mu[/tex]
Now look at your tension T and compare them for both [tex] f_1 \hspace{4} and \hspace{4} f_2[/tex] Next do the same for your length. L. You should be able then to take [tex]f_2[/tex] and write an equation for it in terms of [tex]f_1[/tex] e.g Tension is equal to 2T for [tex]f_2[/tex] and length equals 2L sub these into your equation and see what you get . . .

Rearrange it to get [tex]f_2[/tex] in the form of [tex]Cf_1[/tex] where C is some constant.
=> [tex] f_2=C*\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

Note: line density [tex]\mu[/tex] may also be referred to as mass per unit length

1. What is "Frequency: Variations of a String"?

"Frequency: Variations of a String" is a scientific concept that refers to the number of times a string or wave oscillates in a given unit of time. It is commonly used to describe the pitch or tone of a sound wave or the color of light.

2. How is frequency measured?

Frequency is measured in units called Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of oscillations per second. For example, if a string oscillates 100 times in one second, its frequency would be 100 Hz.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of a string?

The frequency of a string can be affected by its tension, length, and mass. Increasing tension and decreasing length can result in a higher frequency, while decreasing tension and increasing length can result in a lower frequency. The mass of the string also plays a role, as a heavier string will vibrate at a lower frequency than a lighter string.

4. How does frequency relate to wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: frequency = speed of the wave / wavelength.

5. What are some real-world applications of frequency variations of a string?

Frequency variations of a string have many practical applications in fields such as music, telecommunications, and medicine. In music, different frequencies produce different notes, allowing for the creation of melodies and harmonies. In telecommunications, frequency is used to transmit and receive signals, such as in radio and television. In medicine, frequency is used in diagnostic imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to produce images of internal structures and organs.