Fricition: Block on inclined plane

In summary, the maximum angle (theta) at which the block of mass m will not slide down the incline is determined by adding the X and Y components of force P to the block's weight (mg) and normal force (N). This can be simplified by replacing g with its slope and normal components.
yellowsnow

Homework Statement

What is the maximum angle (theta) for which the block of mass m in (figure) will not slide down the incline if the coefficient of static friction is 0.30 and ||P|| = 0?

Figure:

EB2.png

Homework Equations

I know this isn't a hard problem, but I just seem to be stuck on it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by replacing the force "P" with it's X and Y components, then adding the 2 forces to the block, "mg" and "N", the normal force.

After that I'm stumped. I'd appreciate if anyone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi yellowsnow! Welcome to PF! :smile:
yellowsnow said:
What is the maximum angle (theta) for which the block of mass m in (figure) will not slide down the incline if the coefficient of static friction is 0.30 and ||P|| = 0?

I started by replacing the force "P" with it's X and Y components, then adding the 2 forces to the block, "mg" and "N", the normal force.

(do you really mean ||P|| = 0 ?)

It's a lot easier if you replace g, by its slope and normal components :wink:

I would first start by clarifying the problem and making sure all the necessary information is provided. In this case, I would ask for the mass of the block and the angle of the incline.

Once all the necessary information is provided, I would then begin by drawing a free body diagram of the block on the inclined plane. This would help me visualize all the forces acting on the block and their directions.

Next, I would write out the equations of motion for the block in both the x and y directions. This would involve using Newton's second law and the equations for friction and the normal force.

Since the block is not sliding down the incline, we can set the net force in the x direction equal to 0. This would give us an equation with the coefficient of static friction, the normal force, and the weight of the block. We can then solve for the maximum angle by substituting in the given values.

Therefore, my response to this content would be to clarify any missing information, draw a free body diagram, and use the equations of motion to solve for the maximum angle. I would also suggest checking the calculations and making sure all units are consistent.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the unevenness of the surfaces and the interlocking of their microscopic roughness.

2. How does friction affect a block on an inclined plane?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the block, making it more difficult for the block to slide down the inclined plane. It also causes the block to slow down and eventually come to a stop if there is no other force acting on it.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an inclined plane?

The amount of friction on an inclined plane is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight or mass of the block, and the angle of the inclined plane.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect friction?

The steeper the incline, the greater the component of the block's weight acting parallel to the surface. This increases the force of friction, making it more difficult for the block to slide down the inclined plane.

5. How can friction be reduced on an inclined plane?

Friction can be reduced on an inclined plane by using smoother surfaces, reducing the weight of the block, or decreasing the angle of the inclined plane. Lubricants can also be used to reduce friction between the surfaces in contact.