Friction & Cars: Understand Acceleration, Constant Velocity & Brakes

In summary, friction is responsible for the acceleration of a car, specifically through the rolling resistance of the tires. This is a type of friction that opposes the forward motion of the tires and allows the car to move. However, when the car is traveling at a constant velocity, the net force is balanced and there is no acceleration. Friction also plays a crucial role in the functioning of brakes, as it helps to stop the car. Proper inflation of tires can save fuel because it reduces rolling resistance and therefore, friction.
takando12
I can understand that friction is responsible for the acceleration of a car. As the tires turn they push back on the road and the horizontal component of the contact force(ie friction) opposes the motion of the tires and push in the forward direction, making the car move.
1) Which type of friction are we talking about here?
Since we are talking about the tires, is it rolling friction that helps to accelerate the car?
2) Constant velocity
Suppose we are keeping the car going at a constant velocity. The net force should be zero. Does that mean the frictional force is balanced by something?
3) Brakes
My teacher told me friction plays a very important role int he working of breaks. I'm confused. Friction is supposed to keep the car accelerating , so how does it help in stopping it then?
4) Proper inflation of tires saves fuel:
I am unable to arrive at a reason for this. Again I am not sure if this is done to reduce friction or increase friction.
I keep thinking it has to increase friction as friction is what helps the car to move. But the whole thing is very counter intuitive.
I am really confused. Please do help me clear this up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is friction and how does it affect cars?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact with each other, causing resistance to movement. In the context of cars, friction plays a crucial role in the movement and control of the vehicle. The friction between the tires and the road surface allows the car to accelerate, decelerate, and turn.

2. How does friction impact a car's acceleration?

Friction affects a car's acceleration by creating resistance against the motion of the car. This resistance must be overcome by the engine in order for the car to accelerate. The greater the friction between the tires and the road, the more power required from the engine to accelerate the car.

3. What is constant velocity and how is it related to friction?

Constant velocity is when an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line without any changes in its motion. In the context of cars, this means maintaining a steady speed without any changes in acceleration or deceleration. Friction plays a key role in maintaining constant velocity as it provides the necessary resistance to counteract any external forces that may slow down or speed up the car.

4. How do brakes use friction to slow down a car?

Brakes use friction to slow down a car by converting the kinetic energy of the moving car into heat energy through the use of friction. When the brakes are applied, the friction between the brake pads and the brake discs or drums creates resistance, which slows down the rotation of the wheels and ultimately the car's movement.

5. How does understanding friction help in driving and maintaining a car?

Understanding friction is crucial for driving and maintaining a car as it allows drivers to anticipate and control the car's movement. By understanding how friction affects acceleration, constant velocity, and braking, drivers can adjust their driving habits and techniques to ensure safe and efficient operation of their vehicle. Additionally, understanding friction can also help in proper maintenance of the car's tires, brakes, and other components, which can improve the overall performance and longevity of the vehicle.