Friction, Mass and Acceleration: Analyzing Block Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction and its role in causing a block to slide. The equation F=u*n and F=(m1+m2)a is used to calculate the force of friction, which is then set equal to Newton's Second Law (F=ma). The acceleration terms are not cancelled out, but rather replaced with their value found in a previous part of the problem. This leads to the final equation F=(u*m1g(m1+m2))/m2, which explains the force acting on object 2 when friction breaks and the two masses start sliding.
as2528
Homework Statement
Two blocks of mass m2 and m1 are put on a frictionless level surface as shown in the figure below. The static coefficient of friction between the two blocks is µ. A force F acts on the top block m2.

(c) Find the magnitude of the force F above which the block m1 starts to slide relative to the block m1.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
F=u*N
The block starts to slide if friction can no longer hold the block.

F=u*n and F=(m1+m2)a
so: (m1+m2)a=uN=>am1+am2=uN=>am2=(uN)/(am1)

So:am2=(uN)/(am1) is the force.

The answer is F=(u*m1g(m1+m2))/m2
I do not see how the acceleration terms are canceled. Is my answer equivalent to this?

Attachments

• 03exam2msol.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-0592.jpg
    IMG-0592.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-0593.jpg
    IMG-0593.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no figure below. Please post it.

kuruman said:
There is no figure below. Please post it.
Added it!

Please use the "Attach files" link on the lower left to put the figure in your post. It is inconvenient for people to download pdf files just to look at a figure. You will have to do that because you need to post your free body diagram that resulted in your equation.
Can you identify what each "F" in your equation stands for and explain your reasoning?
F=u*n and F=(m1+m2)a

(Fill in the blanks)
The first F stands for _________________________

The second F stands for _________________________

I set the two equal because _____________________________

kuruman said:
Please use the "Attach files" link on the lower left to put the figure in your post. It is inconvenient for people to download pdf files just to look at a figure. You will have to do that because you need to post your free body diagram that resulted in your equation.
Can you identify what each "F" in your equation stands for and explain your reasoning?
F=u*n and F=(m1+m2)a

(Fill in the blanks)
The first F stands for _________________________

The second F stands for _________________________

I set the two equal because _____________________________
I have now attached the pictures. The first F is for Newton's Second Law. The second F is for the force of friction. When the force of friction breaks, and I set it equal to Newton's Second Law, I can find the magnitude of the force acting on object 2 at that instant.

Do you understand how the first equation in part (c) was put together? The acceleration does not "cancel out". It is replaced by its value found in part (b). Just before the two masses start sliding relative to each other, they have the common acceleration from part (b). In your expression you left the acceleration as ##a## which doesn't do much for you. The two masses have common acceleration ##a=\frac{F}{m_1+m_2}## until the top mass starts sliding on the bottom mass.

Likes as2528
kuruman said:
Do you understand how the first equation in part (c) was put together? The acceleration does not "cancel out". It is replaced by its value found in part (b). Just before the two masses start sliding relative to each other, they have the common acceleration from part (b). In your expression you left the acceleration as ##a## which doesn't do much for you. The two masses have common acceleration ##a=\frac{F}{m_1+m_2}## until the top mass starts sliding on the bottom mass.
I see now. I did not realize that, I understand now. Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is friction and how does it affect block motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can slow down or stop an object. In the case of block motion, friction between the block and the surface it is on can either help or hinder the movement of the block.

2. How does the mass of a block affect its motion?

The mass of a block is a measure of the amount of matter it contains. In terms of motion, the mass of a block affects its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. A heavier block will require more force to accelerate or decelerate compared to a lighter block.

3. What is acceleration and how is it related to block motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, it is how quickly an object's speed or direction changes. In the case of block motion, acceleration can be caused by an applied force, such as a push or pull, or by the force of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the net force on a block in motion?

The net force on a block is the sum of all the forces acting on it. To calculate the net force, you must first identify all the individual forces, such as friction and applied force, and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration.

5. Can you have motion without any acceleration?

Yes, it is possible to have motion without any acceleration. This occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity, meaning it has a constant speed and direction. In this case, the net force on the object is zero, so there is no acceleration. However, if there is a change in the speed or direction, then there must be some acceleration present.