Friction on a black on an inclined plane

In summary, a block of mass 2kg, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.5, is held steady on an inclined plane at an angle of 20 degrees. After calculating the frictional force and acceleration, it is determined that the block will not move when tilted by 20 degrees due to the downward force being less than the frictional force.
sara_87

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2kg is on an inclined plane and held steady. The coefficient of static friction u between the block and the plane is 0.5. Determine whether or not the block moves when released if the angle the plane makes with the horizontal is
(a) 20 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

to find n i did this:

2*10*cos20 = 0.94

so friction is 0.47

then i did this:

2*10*sin20 - 0.47 = 6.37

so acceleration is 6.37/2 = 3.19m/s^2

so it looks like the block does move when tilted by 20 degrees...

but i feel like i got quite a big number for the acceleration, am i doing something wrong? am i supposed to approach this question differently?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the downward force is F and the frictional force is F_R

and [itex]F=mgsin\theta[/itex] and [itex]F_R=\mu mgcos\theta[/itex]

consider what happens if [itex]F-F_R<0[/itex] and what happens if [itex]F-F_R>0[/itex]

one says that there will not me motion and the other says that there will be

sara_87 said:
2*10*cos20 = 0.94

so friction is 0.47

then i did this:

2*10*sin20 - 0.47 = 6.37
Are you sure that is correct? I mean the frictional force part

Last edited:
sorry made a stupid mistake:

2*10*cos20 = 0.94

and i found a more reasonable way of doing it

the answer is supposed to be negative so the the box doesn't move

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane can either increase or decrease the motion of an object depending on the direction of the force. If the force of friction is acting against the motion, it will slow down the object. If the force of friction is acting with the motion, it can help the object move down the incline.

3. How does the incline of the plane affect friction?

The steeper the incline of the plane, the greater the force of friction will be. This is because the weight of the object is distributed more perpendicularly to the plane, increasing the normal force and thus increasing the force of friction.

4. Is friction the only force acting on an object on an inclined plane?

No, there are other forces at play such as the force of gravity and the normal force from the surface of the inclined plane. These forces can also affect the motion of the object on the plane.

5. How can friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using a smoother surface for the object to slide on or by reducing the weight of the object. Additionally, using lubricants or reducing the angle of the incline can also help reduce friction.