1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictional force/coeff of friction

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    I have been working at this question for a while. I have to find the frictional force and the coefficient of friction. skier has a mass of 64kg, starts at top of a 18 degree slope and lets gravity take her downhill. slope is 65 m long and her speed is 15 m/s when she get to the bottom. how do I find the x component of weight as well? The answer for coefficient is 0.14N according to the book and frictional force is 83N.

Fnet=mg
    fk=ukFn

I came up with Fn=605N in relation to the y axis. a=3.03 m/s^2 (alteast what I got)
    I have tried a thousand different ways to do this and I keep getting myself more confused. The number I keep coming up with for coeff is .32 and I don't have a clue about frictional force. Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

My first suggestion is to draw a free-body diagram if you have not done so yet. Next, write out the sum of the forces in the x and y directions.

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    I have written out the free body diagram. the sum of the forces for x I have is 197N and for y it is 605. I am not sure if these are exactly correct. for y I used mg cos theta, and for x I used mg sin theta

5. May 26, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Assuming you've got your coordinate axes oriented properly, you should find that the net force in the y direction is 0. As a suggestion, don't plug numbers in until you arrive at your final expression.

Some help since I will be signing off for the night:

Fy = F_N - mgcos(theta) = 0

Fx = mgsin(theta) - F_f = ma

Therefore, F_f = mgsin(theta) - ma

Since F_f is of constant magnitude, the acceleration will be uniform, hence, V_f^2 = 2ax.

Hopefully you can do the rest from here on out, good luck.

P.S. I think the answer for the friction force should be 87 N, I'm not positive though, my math could be wrong.

6. May 26, 2009 #5
    Thanks very much. I got 85 for my frictional force and .14 for coeff. The book says 84N for frictional and .14 for coeff. That should be close enough. I am off one for frictional force, but that could be rounding errors. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook