Frictionless puck goes up hill then falls. What's V0?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hockey puck sliding without friction over an icy hill and then falling off a cliff. The distance traveled by the puck along the hill is 15.3m and the cliff has a height of 8.5m. The puck lands 6.2m from where it left the hill. The conversation involves solving for the initial speed of the puck at the bottom of the hill using conservation of energy and kinematics equations. It also discusses finding the angle at which the puck goes over the cliff using the tangent of the opposite and adjacent sides. There is some uncertainty about the angle of the slope of the hill and the initial velocity of the puck, but it is ultimately determined that the initial speed of
Zsmitty3
1. A small hockey puck slides without friction over the icy hill shown in the figure and lands 6.2m from the foot of the cliff with no air resistance. What was the speed v0 at the bottom of the hill? There is also a diagram showing the hill. The puck starts at the bottom and travels 15.3m to the top. The cliff then drops off vertically straight down 8.5m. The puck lands 6.2m from where it went airborn off the cliff.
2. I think this is a PE KE question.
3. PE is zero initially which means the total energy is KE there. KE=1/2mv^2 so if we can find the total energy initially we can solve for v. BUT, we have no mass for that equations. So i tried setting up something like KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf since no energy is lost from friction or any other external force. I'm not sure where to go from there. PE is also going to be 0 after it falls of the cliff as well. PE just before it falls is at a max which is mgh, but still we have no mass given.

Likes Bassim Kiani
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that 15.sm along the surface to the top of the hill or is the hill 15.3m high?
How high is the cliff? What angle does the puck go over the cliff at?

Conservation of energy is the way to go - don't worry about the mass, just call it "m".
KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf
... that's a good start - you want to write the KEs and PEs in terms of variables for masses and velocities and heights, then stand back and see what leaps out at you :)

Sorry

It's a long problem and the diagram makes it easier. It goes 15.3 along the ice as it rises up the hill. The cliff is 8.5 m. No angle from the cliff is given. But the Adj. is 8.5 and the Opp. is 6.2 (I think) when it lands. So Tan^-1 O/A=θ which means the angle is 63°? So:

mg h(i)+.5mv^2 (i) = mgh (f)= .5mv^2 (f)

would all the m's cancel leaving:

gh + .5v^2 = gh + .5mv^2

(9.8)(0) + .5v(i)^2 = (9.8)*(?)+ .5v(f)^2

Really V inital should be equal to V final right? Because there is no friction and PE is 0 when its on the ground in both locations?

So basically KE is going to equal the PE at the top of the hill. The PE of the top of the hill is mgh. m is unknown. g is 9.8. h is 8.5. So PE=m(9.8)(8.5). Thats where I get stuck. PE intial = PE final and KE initial= KE final. PE will both be 0. So KE=KE. AHHHHHH!

Likes Bassim Kiani
Kinematic

Also can you not just solve for the time the puck is in the air using kinematics. In the y-direction: v2 = 02+2(9.8)(8.5) leaving v=12.907362

Then solve for t

12.907362=0+9.8t

t=1.317s that the puck is in the air

so it's also that long in the air in the x-direction.

so 6.2= 0+v(i)*(1.317)+0

v=4.7076 m/s ?

Zsmitty3 said:
It's a long problem and the diagram makes it easier. It goes 15.3 along the ice as it rises up the hill. The cliff is 8.5 m. No angle from the cliff is given. But the Adj. is 8.5 and the Opp. is 6.2 (I think) when it lands. So Tan^-1 O/A=θ which means the angle is 63°?
That doesn't seem to be the angle of slope of the hill. I assume it's a straight ramp, and it starts at the same height that it finishes, so you can calculate the slope from height and the hypotenuse.
Having done that, you need to use energy to calculate the speed at top of hill, then determine the horizontal and vertical components of that. Then you can use the kinematic equations.

Edit: I meant, I assume that the puck starts at the same height as it finishes (after descending from the cliff).

Last edited:
The slope is not straight. The base of the slope is 15.3 m. Here is the diagram.
Puck.png

Simon Bridge said:
Is that 15.sm along the surface to the top of the hill or is the hill 15.3m high?
How high is the cliff? What angle does the puck go over the cliff at?

Conservation of energy is the way to go - don't worry about the mass, just call it "m".
... that's a good start - you want to write the KEs and PEs in terms of variables for masses and velocities and heights, then stand back and see what leaps out at you :)

I made the mistake of assuming that the v at the top of the hill would equal the initial v due to no friction but I'm wrong because gravity correct?

So PE at the top of the hill is going to just be gh since the m cancels? So 9.8*8.5=83.3 PE at the top of the hill. So since PE is 0 at the bottom the KE must be 83.3. So 83.3=.5mv^2 but the m cancels so 83.3=.5v^2. Which means v= sqrt(83.3/.5). V=12.91 m/s??

Zsmitty3 said:
I made the mistake of assuming that the v at the top of the hill would equal the initial v due to no friction but I'm wrong because gravity correct?
Yes.
So PE at the top of the hill is going to just be gh since the m cancels? So 9.8*8.5=83.3 PE at the top of the hill. So since PE is 0 at the bottom the KE must be 83.3. So 83.3=.5mv^2 but the m cancels so 83.3=.5v^2. Which means v= sqrt(83.3/.5). V=12.91 m/s??
If its initial KE were only equal to the gain in PE then when it gets to the top of the hill it won't be moving. It will need some remaining horizontal speed to reach its landing point.
Since the top of the hill is horizontal, I would suggest working backwards. How long does it take to hit the ground? How fast then does it need to be moving when it becomes airborne to reach its landing point?
Btw, there is one piece of information missing in the OP. It ought to state that the slope of the hill decreases slowly enough that the puck does not become airborne until it passes the top.

True.

So if it starts 8.5 m up and lands 6.2 m away from the edge of the cliff you would just find the time in the y-direction. To do that V final is going to equal zero once it hits the ground. So use
V2=Vo2+2a(X-Xo)

V2= 02+2(9.8)(8.5)
V=12.91 at the top of the cliff

the solve for t using v=vo+at
12.92=0+9.8t
t=1.317s

so now go to x-direction velocity while airborn using x=xo+vot+1/2at2

602=0+vo(1.317)+1/2*0(frictionless)(1.317^2)
Vo=4.7076 m/s at the top of the hill

so if we make the top of the hill "final"

.5mv2+mgh(0)= .5m4.70762+m9.8*8.5

m's cancel

.5v2+0=.5(4.7076)2+9.8(8.5)

.5v2=11.0807+83.3
V2=188.7614
V=13.739 m/s

Is this correct? It would make since because Vo is higher that V after it's gone up the hill.

Zsmitty3 said:
So if it starts 8.5 m up and lands 6.2 m away from the edge of the cliff you would just find the time in the y-direction. To do that V final is going to equal zero once it hits the ground. So use
V2=Vo2+2a(X-Xo)

V2= 02+2(9.8)(8.5)
V=12.91 at the top of the cliff
You mean, at the bottom of the cliff.
the solve for t using v=vo+at
12.92=0+9.8t
t=1.317s

so now go to x-direction velocity while airborn using x=xo+vot+1/2at2

602=0+vo(1.317)+1/2*0(frictionless)(1.317^2)
Vo=4.7076 m/s at the top of the hill
6.2, but that's the right result.
so if we make the top of the hill "final"

.5mv2+mgh(0)= .5m4.70762+m9.8*8.5

m's cancel

.5v2+0=.5(4.7076)2+9.8(8.5)

.5v2=11.0807+83.3
V2=188.7614
V=13.739 m/s

Is this correct? It would make since because Vo is higher that V after it's gone up the hill.

Looks fine.

Thanks! :biggrin:

1. What does it mean for a puck to be "frictionless"?

A frictionless puck is one that experiences no resistance or force due to friction as it moves. This means that there is no slowing down or stopping of the puck's motion due to contact with another surface.

2. How does a frictionless puck go up a hill without slowing down?

The lack of friction means that there is no force acting against the puck's motion, allowing it to continue moving up the hill without slowing down.

3. Why does the puck fall back down the hill after reaching the top?

The puck falls back down the hill due to the force of gravity. Without any other external forces acting on it, the puck will accelerate downwards until it reaches the bottom of the hill.

4. How is V0 related to the movement of the puck up the hill?

V0, or initial velocity, is the speed at which the puck is launched up the hill. It is important to consider when calculating the puck's motion, as it affects the puck's acceleration and final velocity at the top of the hill.

5. Can the puck reach the top of the hill with any initial velocity?

No, the puck's initial velocity must be high enough to overcome the force of gravity and reach the top of the hill. If the initial velocity is too low, the puck will not have enough energy to make it to the top and will fall back down before reaching it.