Fridge Power/Heat: A 300 Watt Heater?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 97313
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    fridge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
97313
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I've got a few things I want to make sure I have right about refrigerators. When the fridge operates, it removes heat from inside, and moves it to the outside. The outside of the fridge is warm. This is one source of heat from the fridge. Unfortunately, this process is not 100% efficient, so some energy is dissipated as heat. I believe that this is all of the energy, so if a fridge is using 300 watts, it dissipates 300 watts of heat, and is like a 300 watt heater. This only includes the heat output from inefficiencies, and not the heat that is removed from the inside. Is this correct?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately, all of the electrical energy used by the fridge becomes heat in the room.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person