1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friedmann equation - show Big Bang happened given conditions

1. Mar 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Friedmann equations to show that if ##\dot{a} > 0##, ##k<0## and ##\rho>0## then there exists a ##t*## in the past where ##a(t*)=0##

2. Relevant equations

Friedmann :

##(\frac{\dot{a}}{a})^2=\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho-\frac{k}{a^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution

re-arrange as:

##\dot{a}^2=1+\frac{8\pi G}{3}a^2\rho##

where I have used ##k<0## can be/is standard to set to ##k=-1##

Then since ##\rho>0##, and ##\dot{a}##>0 implies I should take the positive square root of this , this implies that ##\dot{a}>1## for all time.

Now I do not follow the next part of my solution which says:

Thus ##a(t)>0## is decreasing at a rate that is always greater than ##1## and there was necessarily a finite time ##t*## in the past where ##a(t*)=0##

How have we concluded a decrease, do we not need ##\ddot{a}## to make this conclusion? Can someone please explain where this comes from?

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think you can just set k=-1, although it doesn't change the conclusion here. It is not necessary to do that, all you need is k<0 in the following argument.

If the first derivative is positive, then the original function decreases if we go back in time. This does not depend on the second derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted