1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From angular momentum hamiltonian to angles(coordinates)

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    I have a Hamiltonian, consisting only of angular momentum components Lx,Ly,Lz. I need to go from it to some coordinate representation. But I don't have derivatives Lx' etc. in H. So, when I'll go to coordinates and momenta I'll have Hamiltonian equations like p_i=0, which doesn't have sense.
    How I need to go from H to x,y,z or \phi,\theta,r.
    H=-K1Lx2+K2Lz2+HxLx+HyLy+HzLz

Going from L to angles can make no problem according to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=161865 in example
    But back?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2
    Please, somebody! I need at least the guidance how to go in classical case from H=-K1Lx2+K2Lz2+HxLx+HyLy+HzLz to action-angle variables! I know how to do that in a variety examples having coordinates (i.e. harmonic oscillator or Kepler problem etc.) but I don't know what to do having angular momentum in the Hamiltonian! Rewriting via p\cros r doesn't help either!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook