1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From Computer Science to Engineering

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    Hello all, I am a new member here, but I have come upon Physics forums many times before. So, I have a question: Is it possible for me to gain a Bachelors in computer science and then move on to a Masters in an engineering field? I am presently a CS major, which I love, but I don't know if I want to continue work in CS for grad school.

My academic advisor has been remarkably unhelpful (if I can get in touch with him) and simply internet searching the question returned poor results as well. Also, I am obviously aware that Software Engineering is a possibility, but I suppose I was thinking more down the lines of mechanical/electrical engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it possible? Sure.

Is it reasonable to do? Not so much.

Why not switch your undergrad major to EE or ME? Although not important for EE as much, with an engineering undergrad you can take the EIT exam to become a "Professional Engineer"

Some schools will also offer a kind of hybrid major, like ECE or EECS. Look into those too.

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

Look into computer engineering for an undergrad.

Also yes with a comp sci background you can get an electrical engineering masters degree.

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4
    Student100 - I most likely will remain in CS and pursue a Masters in Software Engineering. But, I am just trying to keep my options open. I could be quite content in several different fields. But yeah, I will look into changing majors if it wouldn't add too many more classes than I will need for CS. Thanks for the response!

donpacino - I am, but would that make it easier to move toward ME or EE for grad school? Thanks for the response!

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Alright sounds like you have a plan then. You can always fill up some of your technical electives with design classes/ EE courses. Which will help you if you decide to go to graduate school in EE. ECE or EECS should roll over most everything you've done, like physics/math/chem requirements if you have them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook