From Computer Science to Solar Energy Engineering

In summary, a computer science major may not be the best choice for someone interested in pursuing a career in solar engineering. A student should take courses in mathematics, physics, and engineering in order to be well-prepared for a graduate program in solar engineering.
SolarGirl
I'm currently studying computer science, but I'm convinced solar engineering is where I'm supposed to be. I have some robotics courses coming up junior and senior year, but I would like to know what are some of the engineering courses I could take during the summer to prepare me for a graduate program focusing on solar engineering?

I'll have two full summers to rack up on courses during undergrad, and 'd like to be prepared for a grad program and not have to take prereqs before I can take my grad level courses.

TIA!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're studying CS, you probably don't have advanced of math classes as you will for an "engineering" degree, perhaps courses such as Calc 3, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra... At my school, it seemed no matter what the "engineering" degree (mechanical, electrical, civil, computer, etc) all of them required those math courses, but some friends majoring in CS didn't need higher than calc 1 nor diff. eq. if I recall.

Also, I would suggest you take some EE courses, at least the basics like Circuits 1, etc. Physics 1 and 2 with calculus, and certainly advanced chemistry classes couldn't hurt (I think most universities have two chem and physics courses, they have "general physics" 1&2 and then they have "university physics" 1&2, with the latter being the one that Engineers needed (same was true for chem, there was "general" and "university"), also something like organic chem might help? I'm the first to reply so we'll see what other people think!

Good choice my friend. Computer Science is very complicated field, and most of the jobs are usually being seek by those that have years of experience in the IT field. It is one of those field that are very unstable in these time, many IT companies are going out of business, due to the increase hackers population.

I haven't heard much about solar engineering, but if you want to pursue in a career to build robots and machinery, then mechanical would suit you perfectly.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Believe it or not, I've already had 3 calc. courses, diffierential equations and I took linear algebra one summer. I've also had physics up to e&m and I've also had a circuits course. (I had a lot of IB and AP credits so I dove into some more challenging courses) I'm thinking I'll need courses like thermodynamics and some ME courses to give me a good foundation for a master's geared toward solar engineering.

I'll be speaking with some program directors at my top choice grad schools in the coming weeks, so hopefully they can provide more insight.

Thanks again, guys!

I don't think there's really such a thing as "solar engineering". Photovoltaics is a multidisciplinary technology that requires technical knowledge from several fields. What is it exactly that you want to do with PV's? If you want to invent new ones, go into chem, material science, or P. chem. If you wan to design PV systems, lean towards electrical. If you want to deal with the thermal or structural aspects, then you should focus on mechanical.

If you really want to have something that you can lean on for your entire life, why not go for solar engineering...Since power increases, Solar power become more affordable. We all need something that we can used which has a good quality and performance at the same time we can saved! In "www.solarpanelsqueensland.com.au"[/URL], there are lot of references which you can totally have an idea on how solar engineering being discussed. Have it and made your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is computer science?

Computer science is a field of study that involves the design, development, and use of computer systems and software. It combines principles from mathematics, engineering, and logic to solve complex problems and create efficient solutions.

What is solar energy engineering?

Solar energy engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and implementation of solar energy technologies. This includes the use of solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, as well as other methods of harnessing the sun's energy for various purposes.

How are computer science and solar energy engineering related?

Computer science and solar energy engineering are related in that both fields involve problem-solving and the use of technology. Computer science skills, such as programming and data analysis, are valuable in the development of solar energy technologies. Additionally, computer simulations and modeling are often used in solar energy engineering to optimize designs and predict performance.

What skills are necessary for a career in "From Computer Science to Solar Energy Engineering"?

Some important skills for a career in "From Computer Science to Solar Energy Engineering" include a strong foundation in computer science principles, knowledge of renewable energy and solar technologies, and the ability to use computer software for design and analysis. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with engineers and scientists from different disciplines.

What are some potential career paths for someone with a background in computer science and an interest in solar energy engineering?

Some potential career paths for someone with a background in computer science and an interest in solar energy engineering include software development for renewable energy companies, data analysis and modeling for solar energy projects, and research and development in the field of solar technology. Other options may include project management, technical consulting, or teaching and education in the field.