From CS bachelor graduate to new physics bachelor?

• Programs
  • Thread starter martymotown
  • Start date
In summary, I think it would be a great idea to go back to school and get a physics bachelor's degree.
martymotown
I finished my really half-assed CS bachelor's degree last summer, got a job, got good money, but I realized particularly last year of my bachelor how incredibly awesome and satisfying science (and math) is. During this year (since September) I've been working for a start-up with a very boring product, doing software engineering. I've been planning this whole time (9 months now) what to do next.

I think I want to do something regarding either astronomy or energy physics, maybe both. I'm interested in researching these subjects. Aside from that, I also want to get the physics education I never got. My HS was also half-assed and I didn't get challenging math, and only got introductory physics (not comparable with AP physics or something, as a frame of reference). I am Norwegian by the way, 25 y/o this year.

Is it crazy to back to do a physics bachelor and start over?

I have an option to do a CS master's degree, but although it would be way more scientific, way more interesting and much more mathematical than my current job, I don't like CS in itself. I like programming as a means towards accomplishing great things, but I am not interested in it intrinsically. Physics however, capture me and make me couch-locked reading and watching it.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, physics as its practiced may be less awesome than you think: "Here's 500 steel plates. Weight them." "Here's 1000 phototubes. Test them." :Here are 50,000 wires. Tension them." Are you prepared to do this?

Second, of course going back is possible. Have you thought about how you are going to pay for it? Very little financial aid is available for second bachelors degrees.

Vanadium 50 said:
First, physics as its practiced may be less awesome than you think: "Here's 500 steel plates. Weight them." "Here's 1000 phototubes. Test them." :Here are 50,000 wires. Tension them." Are you prepared to do this?

Second, of course going back is possible. Have you thought about how you are going to pay for it? Very little financial aid is available for second bachelors degrees.
Economy is really not a huge concern. I made a significant amount of money after only working for these 9 months, and in Europe there are many solutions for covering costs. I wouldn't be living as carefree, but still would be living.

I challenge your notion about physics with software engineering:
"Here's a client's wish for making a feature including a button which filters out some parts of a list. Here's a code base with thousands of lines of code which were written more often than not by literal amateurs. Figure it out."

Also meanwhile:
"Here's a (passive) aggressive product manager watching over you, caring only about productivity and the business aspect as opposed to actually writing beautiful and functional code. Deal with him."

I don't really mind doing stuff that can be repetitive and even seem dumb. Just would prefer to do it together with scientists, with less daily pressure, towards a greater cause, and to possibly be working towards professorship in the process.

If you are basing this on scientists not being under pressure, you may want to rethink things.

The one night you get telescopr time, it rains.
The one source of the glopolium you need has gone bankrupt...or been invaded by Russia.
Your worst enemy has just published a result that makes your entire line of research irrelevant.
And so on.

Science is difficult, risky, stressful and usually involves a lot of time doing things that are only peripherally - at best - related to answering the questions you are interested in. You need to be OK with that, or it will drive you crazy.

• Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, DeBangis21 and symbolipoint
If the only physics you have studied up to this point was in high school, you might want to try taking some night school courses in it first. Maybe see if you can get through a first year physics course and the calculus sequence that goes along with it. That might give you some insight into what you're in for without having to quit your day job. If it goes well... then go for it... leave your current job, enroll full time and complete a second degree.

It's not crazy going back to school at 25. Lots of people do it successfully.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you are basing this on scientists not being under pressure, you may want to rethink things.

The one night you get telescopr time, it rains.
The one source of the glopolium you need has gone bankrupt...or been invaded by Russia.
Your worst enemy has just published a result that makes your entire line of research irrelevant.
And so on.

Science is difficult, risky, stressful and usually involves a lot of time doing things that are only peripherally - at best - related to answering the questions you are interested in. You need to be OK with that, or it will drive you crazy.
I think I'm okay with that. Life is unpredictable. Among the few constants we have is what our labor goes towards. Science, even in failure, attempts to do good. Maybe I am strongly understating the daily pressure, I didn't mean to undermine, but I guess my issue is that in my current job, my daily pressure is pressure that I hate having. But you can also feel pressure of, let's say, being a good father, being a good student, being a good sports player, etc. This pressure feels much better because it feels like a direct consequence of following your dreams.

Choppy said:
If the only physics you have studied up to this point was in high school, you might want to try taking some night school courses in it first. Maybe see if you can get through a first year physics course and the calculus sequence that goes along with it. That might give you some insight into what you're in for without having to quit your day job. If it goes well... then go for it... leave your current job, enroll full time and complete a second degree.

It's not crazy going back to school at 25. Lots of people do it successfully.
Although that's a good idea, I would also hate to spend even more time not having started on physics now. In my view, it's easier to pick up a new software engineering job in 2 years if I realize I made a huge mistake, as opposed to waiting another 2 years to more or less start from scratch towards a path of physics research.

martymotown said:
Although that's a good idea, I would also hate to spend even more time not having started on physics now. In my view, it's easier to pick up a new software engineering job in 2 years if I realize I made a huge mistake, as opposed to waiting another 2 years to more or less start from scratch towards a path of physics research.
The important thing with these kinds of decisions is that you go in with your eyes open, understanding the potential consequences as much as possible, and have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

Things to be aware of:
  • As eluded to above, studying physics formally is much different from reading about popular physics. It can be quite tedious and boring at times.
  • The software industry moves at a very quick pace. If you jump out of the field for a couple of years, will you still be competitive in it should you decide to return?
  • There are very few jobs in academia. Even for those who go all the way to the completion of a PhD, the probability is still high that they will end up leaving academia and getting a job in the commercial world. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if your goal is to become a professor, make sure you really understand the odds of that happening and keep your marketable skills sharp.
  • The consequence of stating this path in your mid-to-late twenties is that you'll be in your mid-to-late thirties by the time you finish a PhD. That's not a point against you inherently, but it's one thing to pack up and move to a new city for grad school when you're in your mid-twenties. It could be a lot different in your mid-thirties if you have a spouse or partner, a family to support, a mortgage to pay, etc.
If you're good with all of this... then go for it.

Likes Vanadium 50
martymotown said:
I am Norwegian by the way, 25 y/o this year.

Is it crazy to back to do a physics bachelor and start over?
I am not familiar with the job market in Norway. But before you decide on a second bachelor's in physics, you should find out the degree requirements for the career you envision. Is a bachelor's enough? Is a master's enough? Or is a PhD required? How many more total years of school are you willing to go through?

Choppy said:
The important thing with these kinds of decisions is that you go in with your eyes open, understanding the potential consequences as much as possible, and have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

Things to be aware of:
  • As eluded to above, studying physics formally is much different from reading about popular physics. It can be quite tedious and boring at times.
  • The software industry moves at a very quick pace. If you jump out of the field for a couple of years, will you still be competitive in it should you decide to return?
  • There are very few jobs in academia. Even for those who go all the way to the completion of a PhD, the probability is still high that they will end up leaving academia and getting a job in the commercial world. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if your goal is to become a professor, make sure you really understand the odds of that happening and keep your marketable skills sharp.
  • The consequence of stating this path in your mid-to-late twenties is that you'll be in your mid-to-late thirties by the time you finish a PhD. That's not a point against you inherently, but it's one thing to pack up and move to a new city for grad school when you're in your mid-twenties. It could be a lot different in your mid-thirties if you have a spouse or partner, a family to support, a mortgage to pay, etc.
If you're good with all of this... then go for it.
Sounds alright all of it, with your last point the most pressing to me. This is what scares me. I think practically speaking I'd make it work. But it's just inherently different to commit to such things at this age. If there were no societal norms about age and it was all about whether I'd practically manage or not, it'd be a no-brainer. But it's not that easy. I still consider doing my CS master's (don't know if I mentioned in this thread, but I have this option too), but I know I'd be going against my heart.

CrysPhys said:
I am not familiar with the job market in Norway. But before you decide on a second bachelor's in physics, you should find out the degree requirements for the career you envision. Is a bachelor's enough? Is a master's enough? Or is a PhD required? How many more total years of school are you willing to go through?
I want for the most part to do a career in actual research physics and have a chance at professorship. I can't imagine that's possible without at least a transitional master's degree (e.g. a CS master's with physics emphasis), and then possibly doing another master after in physics or even straight to PhD physics from CS master's. I will ask my academic advisor about this.

Anyhow, there's no real set job that I'd imagine doing as per today, which I either already don't have the prerequisites for more-or-less, or am simply far away from ever being able to get. I did consider something like acoustic engineering, but I am far more passionate about research and science than practically applying it with engineering, although I like acoustics.

martymotown said:
I want for the most part to do a career in actual research physics and have a chance at professorship.
THAT is what's important to know.

Likes martymotown
symbolipoint said:
THAT is what's important to know.
I wish I knew that for sure many years ago, and even more, that I felt confident enough in myself to go down that path. But someone told me "the best day to start was back then. Second best day is right now."

Likes DeBangis21

1. What inspired you to switch from a CS bachelor to a physics bachelor?

I have always been interested in both computer science and physics, but during my CS studies, I realized that my passion lies more in the theoretical and mathematical aspects of science. I wanted to challenge myself and pursue a degree that would allow me to delve deeper into these subjects.

2. Was it difficult to make the transition from a CS background to a physics program?

Yes, it was definitely challenging. While there are some overlapping concepts, the approach and methodology in physics is quite different from computer science. I had to work hard to catch up on the necessary mathematical and theoretical foundations, but I found it to be a rewarding experience.

3. What skills from your CS degree have been useful in your physics studies?

My CS degree has helped me develop strong problem-solving and analytical skills, which have been invaluable in my physics courses. Additionally, my programming skills have been useful in data analysis and simulations, which are common in physics research.

4. How has your perspective on science changed since switching to a physics bachelor?

Switching to a physics bachelor has given me a deeper understanding and appreciation for the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. It has also taught me to think critically and question everything, which is essential in the scientific method.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a switch from CS to a physics program?

My advice would be to carefully consider your interests and goals before making the switch. Physics is a challenging and demanding field, so it's important to have a genuine passion for it. Additionally, be prepared to work hard and be open to learning new concepts and techniques. It's a rewarding journey, but it requires dedication and perseverance.