From Electrical Engineer to Tissue Engineer

In summary: I'm thinking more along the lines of finding a lab in need of EE services (e.g., instrumentation, data collection, and programming) and bartering EE services for bio training.In summary, if you want to work in a bio lab and have some experience in electrical engineering, the best option may be to find a lab that is in need of EE services and barter those services for bio training.
DonnieBrasco
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I did my undergrad in EE. I'm looking to transition into something in the biomedical space, particularly tissue engineering. I might want to do a PhD, but I'm just seeking a new challenge at this point in my life. Is there any way that I can work part-time in some kind of an academic lab doing some basic cell culturing experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean work part time for pay or no pay (just for experience)? Chances are greater if you opt for no pay.

(a) Do you have a friend or family member who runs a bio lab and would be willing to take you on as a personal favor? That's one option.

(b) Another option is to find a bio lab in need of EE services (e.g., instrumentation, data collection, and programming) and barter EE services for bio training. Here's one example of how it worked in reverse. When I was doing my bachelor's thesis in physics, my advisor was interested in wave propagation and transport phenomena. Most of the work concentrated on single-crystal samples, but the professor (his background was primarily in microwave spectroscopy and solid-state physics) also got interested in characterizing tissues. One collaborator was an MD, who brought toads into the lab. He dissected them to harvest tissue samples from their bladders. So the MD had bio skills and knowledge to offer, and he gained physics skills and knowledge.

Likes berkeman
To the OP:

I have a few questions:

1. How long has it been since you have completed your undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (EE)?

2. Are you currently working as an electrical engineer?

Your answers to the above questions will help inform others on how best to advise on how to proceed to transitioning to biomedical engineering (of which there is a considerable overlap with EE).

Last edited:
1. How long has it been since you have completed your undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (EE)?
Just under 2 years.
2. Are you currently working as an electrical engineer?
Yes. I’ve mostly worked on ASICs and SW stuff.

CrysPhys said:
Do you mean work part time for pay or no pay (just for experience)? Chances are greater if you opt for no pay.

(a) Do you have a friend or family member who runs a bio lab and would be willing to take you on as a personal favor? That's one option.

(b) Another option is to find a bio lab in need of EE services (e.g., instrumentation, data collection, and programming) and barter EE services for bio training. Here's one example of how it worked in reverse. When I was doing my bachelor's thesis in physics, my advisor was interested in wave propagation and transport phenomena. Most of the work concentrated on single-crystal samples, but the professor (his background was primarily in microwave spectroscopy and solid-state physics) also got interested in characterizing tissues. One collaborator was an MD, who brought toads into the lab. He dissected them to harvest tissue samples from their bladders. So the MD had bio skills and knowledge to offer, and he gained physics skills and knowledge.
(b) sounds like a more realistic route for me. Do academic labs hire people or take on volunteers who have spent some time (just under 2 years) working in industry? I’d imagine it’s hard to start that conversation due to my lack of a .edu email haha

DonnieBrasco said:
(b) sounds like a more realistic route for me. Do academic labs hire people or take on volunteers who have spent some time (just under 2 years) working in industry? I’d imagine it’s hard to start that conversation due to my lack of a .edu email haha
It really depends on whether you have skills and knowledge of value to the professor. Working in industry could be a plus if your experience there is of value. A two year break from school by itself should not be detrimental, if that's what you're worried about. In situations like these, personal networking helps a lot, rather than firing emails off to random professors. Is your alma mater an option?

Welcome to PF, Donnie. :smile:
DonnieBrasco said:
I did my undergrad in EE. I'm looking to transition into something in the biomedical space, particularly tissue engineering.
What is tissue engineering exactly? What-all does it entail?
DonnieBrasco said:
Is there any way that I can work part-time in some kind of an academic lab doing some basic cell culturing experiments?
Do you have some training in working in a biology lab? The skills we learn in EE labs are pretty orthogonal to biology labs, I would think. If not yet, there are probably plenty of videos and other training resources online to get you up to speed.

CrysPhys said:
Is your alma mater an option?
My alma mater may be an option. However, I don't have any direct connections to the bio department.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, Donnie. :smile:

What is tissue engineering exactly? What-all does it entail?

Do you have some training in working in a biology lab? The skills we learn in EE labs are pretty orthogonal to biology labs, I would think. If not yet, there are probably plenty of videos and other training resources online to get you up to speed.
Thanks! You’ve all been very helpful and welcoming :)

Tissue engineering involves growing biological material and leverages skillsets from multiple engineering disciplines. Regenerative medicine would be one such application. This entails growing tissues to repair damaged organs in patients.

I don’t have much training in bio labs beyond high school bio labs. Would a coursera course carry any weight for getting a volunteer gig in a lab?

Likes berkeman
DonnieBrasco said:
My alma mater may be an option. However, I don't have any direct connections to the bio department.
First check out the bio professors that are doing what you are interested in. Then contact your previous professors and see whether any of them know the bio professors. If so, ask for an introduction. If not, contact the bio professors directly, introducing yourself as a recent alum.

Likes DonnieBrasco

1. How did you transition from being an electrical engineer to a tissue engineer?

As an electrical engineer, I was always fascinated by the intersection of technology and biology. After completing my undergraduate degree, I pursued a graduate degree in biomedical engineering with a focus on tissue engineering. This allowed me to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to make the transition.

2. What exactly is tissue engineering?

Tissue engineering is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from engineering, biology, and medicine to create functional tissue substitutes for damaged or diseased tissues or organs. This involves using cells, scaffolds, and bioactive molecules to stimulate tissue growth and repair.

3. What are the main challenges in tissue engineering?

One of the main challenges in tissue engineering is creating a functional and viable tissue that can integrate with the body's existing tissues and perform its intended function. This requires a deep understanding of the complex biological processes involved in tissue development and regeneration.

4. What are some applications of tissue engineering?

Tissue engineering has a wide range of applications, including creating skin substitutes for burn victims, repairing damaged cartilage and bone, and developing organ replacements. It is also being used in drug testing and disease modeling to improve the understanding and treatment of various medical conditions.

5. What do you see as the future of tissue engineering?

I believe that tissue engineering has the potential to revolutionize healthcare by providing personalized and regenerative treatments for a variety of diseases and injuries. With advancements in technology and ongoing research, we may even be able to engineer entire organs for transplantation in the near future.