1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From India:B.Tech or B.Sc?

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    Hello I am from India and preparing to take entrance tests for undergraduate courses in science and technology in Indian colleges and univ. I had initially thought of B.Tech only but I am quite interested in an academic career, especially in physics. In that respect I feel a B.Sc in physics would be better. But I would rather have someone more experienced tell me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2
    Hey i'm going through the same problem and i'm also from india studying in +1 std. Well being a junior to you i've no experience, but i still feel i can help you. Well I've decided that i'll definitely go with b.tech. (aerospace or mechanical). Trying my best to go with indian prestigious colleges IIT's. Please specify what you want as a academic career like i wanna be an astrophysicist. IIST is a well known college in this field, providing b.tech. in avionics and aeronautics, so you should also appear in ISAT exam. Its a good intitute with zero fees but the problem with this college is that you must have to serve ISRO for 5 yrs. And you know na that isro pays very low, i think its starting salary as scaientist or engineer is nearly Rs.15000 per month which is ver very low.

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Interesting take. I don't exactly care for money and working at ISRO would be fine with me. But you know, parental pressure does not give me much room. I was hoping for a career in research but have not thought about the field (lots of thoughts actually).Right now concentrating on JEE is top priority.

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    Thats exactly right to give jee top priority. Pls tell me in which class you are and from where in india you are. You must should decide about the field, every fileld has sub fields.. no need to go so much narrow right now. And what you have decided about the stream in which you are going to pursue b.tech.

6. May 10, 2010 #5
    I am in +2 now. Crunch year and yes jee is top priority. I have always wanted an engineering degree in aeronautics but you know so much for the details you would have to work hard for it. Even if we get the best colleges the areas of pursuit may not be our choice.

7. May 10, 2010 #6
    ya, But for being an reputed astrophysicist one also has to go with b.sc. in physics.. so i'm searching if it is possible to do both b.tech.(full time) side by side with b.sc in physics (distance learning). I know it will increase burden a lot, but nothing is beyond passion for me..

8. May 10, 2010 #7
    Good thoughts. I am with you on the passion factor.

9. May 10, 2010 #8
    not only you, i guess almost all will agree me on this factor. But still I don't know whether it is possible to study both at same time

10. May 10, 2010 #9
    I am currently in my 12th grade and am from Mumbai. I too want to become an astrophysicist, and I am quite adamant about it. But I am not pursuing IIT. Instead, I am studying for my CET examinations for the next year. One things for sure, becoming an astrophysicist in India is going to be really tough, and full of hurdles. But If we have the desire and passion, we can surely do it. And I am really happy to meet you both.

11. May 11, 2010 #10
    Same goes with me. Happy meeting.

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    So aiman, finally you have decided or not

13. May 12, 2010 #12
    Not exactly but I have ideas. Like an M.Tech after bachelor's. People do enter academics this way and still have the option of pursuing a Ph.D. Or there are other options. There are integrated M.Sc and M.S courses in physics. Should be clearer once I have results to go for my plans.

14. May 12, 2010 #13
    Hi,
    In India Chennai Mathematical Institute has a very good Bsc Physics programme.
    http://cmi.ac.in/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  15. May 21, 2010 #14
    To the original poster: it really doesn't matter, as long as you can do undergrad courses in physics in your BTech program. There are very few (if at all) undergrad physics programs in India with good exposure to experiment. The engineering curriculum tends to be more hands-on and practical, and if you can top it up with a solid foundation of undergrad physics, it'll be a great combination.

Also, note that after a BSc, an MSc is a must if you wish to pursue something academic.

16. May 24, 2010 #15
    aim1732, I am responding to your visitor profile message here (because its more relevant to get these issues sorted out on the forum):

1. You ask where you should get your postgraduate degree from. That should be your decision. If you want to continue in India, there are places like the IITs, TIFR, IIsc, HRI, SINP, IOP, etc. If you want to study abroad, there are several universities with very good physics programs in the US, Europe, etc.

2. Second, you ask about specialization. There is no concept of specialization in undergrad, though you could possibly take many elective courses in one stream of your engineering/science major and think of it as some kind of specialization. I do not think specializing during the undergrad is academically healthy.

17. Jul 19, 2010 #16
    "Hello aim, you are a science student so i would like to suggest for B.Sc. I have also done my B.Sc after 12th from Sikkim Manipal University. Sikkim Manipal University is the best university of India for distance learning program. It is also accredited by government. SMUDE uses the latest edunxt technology to create a virtual classroom where you can interact with the faculty and students and thereby also network with other students, which is a unique and one of its kind feature amongst other colleges offering distance education. For the prospectus and speaking to their counselor you can register for free at: http://bit.ly/smude [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jul 19, 2010 #17
    Thanks but how viable is a distance learning course?

19. Jul 20, 2010 #18
    Physics is very interactive...just as it is not possible to learn everything out of a book (except possibly for a very very small fraction of people), it is not possible to 'learn' physics through a distance course. I do not see how it will help you get into a good graduate program. It is also quite likely not to be recognized by most graduate schools, even in India. I wouldn't advise you to burn your bridges this way. Getting a BTech from a decent engineering institute or a BSc Honors in Physics followed by grad school in Physics is much better (and safer!).

20. Jul 20, 2010 #19
    Just what I thought.

21. Jul 23, 2010 #20
    Am I seeing Indian high school students interested in a physics research career, but aren't aware of the options they have for undergrad? In India, people just talk about engg/med, & hardly about science (& in fact, anything else).
    But there are good places around for an undergrad in physics.

IISc is gonna (or has it, pls check up) start its BS program. That, I think, should be the best place. (I have done two summers of research there).
    Next would the the 5yr. integrated M.Sc program offered by IIT's such as Kanpur, Kharagpur,...
    (you can join these MSc programs right after class 12)
    IIT Bombay, Madras & Delhi offer the 'Engineering Physics' program. (That's what I am doing). Though they call it 'Engineering Physics', it is predominantly physics.

After them, the IISERs. They have a BS program (& i think, an integrated MS program too. Just check up)

There were talks about doing a B.Tech (in engg.) & then trying to shift over to physics. But if you are interested in physics, and if you feel you have the aptitude for a research career in physics, go for one of these programs that I've mentioned rather than doing engg.
    After a B.Tech in mech. engg / aerospace engg., physics would be totally different. Elec engg. is the closest to physics, but that's still quite far away.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook