1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Health Physicist - Need just a B.Sc in Health Phys?

1. Oct 26, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to work in a powerplant as a health physicist. I have been looking at requirements and they seem to be typically just a B.Sc in Health Phys + experience. Does anyone know if this is often what is needed? I am doing a dual hons in biology and physics and I want to adequately prepare for this career.

Thanks everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you want to tell us what country you are in?

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3
    Ontario, Canada

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That was the case about 20 years ago. A friend of mine was hired with a BSc into Pickering. I'm pretty sure that he did a co-op placement which led to the job.

These days, there may be a bit of buyer's market effect, where although all you technically need to get such a position is a BSc, there may be enough people applying with master's degrees that you need one to be competitive.

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5
    Does anyone have experience with powerplant physics? Also, I noticed a lot of physics jobs are available to engineers. How is this so? I understand EngPhys but all others do not take the same level of physics and math that I do? How is an engineering degree equivalent to a physics degree as a health physicist? Really only dosimetry seems to specify just physics.

Perhaps they say that so those with industry experience with phys can apply?

7. Oct 26, 2016 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This topic as being discussed makes me think of "Industrial Hygiene".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted