From reseach internship to grad school

In summary, if you are accepted for an REU at a top school, it increases your chances of being accepted into a graduate program there, but it is not a guarantee.
Ai52487963
Say one is accepted for a research internship at some university for the summer, be it an REU or whatever. How much better of a chance at going to that university for graduate studies does one have?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my own personal experience, not too much. I did an REU at Harvard-SAO which often felt like one big pitch for their grad program - but only one person from my REU program even got in, although all of us had glowing letters of recommendation from profs in the department.

In my experience it did help.

Without my REU's I would have had no research experience, coming from a small liberal arts school. The REU's did not help me get into Harvard, but I did get into a respectable graduate program at a non-ivy league research university. Without the REU's I think the caliber of school I got into would be far less (i.e. a top ~80 instead of top ~30 institution)

I think that in general, having research experience will help you get into graduate school. So, participating in any REU will increase your chances of being accepted. Even so, just because you participated in an REU at a particular college, it doesn't say anything about whether or not that college will accept you for graduate school. Being picked for an REU means that they were somewhat interested in your work, you were at the top of the list of people who applied, & you shared a similar research goal or interest with the person who picked you to work with them. Graduate admissions is a completely different process with different people in charge of accepting/rejecting applicants.

On that note, I know tons of people who completed REUs at top colleges, but when they went around to apply for graduate school, they did not get accepted. Conversely, I got rejected from an REU program at Lehigh University, but they emailed me and said it was just because they couldn't find a mentor whose interests matched mine. They still liked my work, and they encouraged me to apply for graduate school and even waived the admissions fee.

What is a research internship?

A research internship is a short-term work experience that allows students to gain hands-on training and experience in a specific field of research. It typically involves working closely with a mentor or supervisor on a research project.

How does a research internship help with getting into grad school?

A research internship can be a valuable experience for students interested in pursuing a graduate degree. It allows them to gain practical skills and knowledge in their field of interest, as well as develop relationships with mentors and potential recommendation letter writers.

What should I look for in a research internship?

When searching for a research internship, it is important to consider the specific research topics, the mentor's qualifications and experience, the location and duration of the internship, and any potential funding or compensation.

Do research internships have any requirements?

Requirements for research internships can vary depending on the program or institution. Some may require a minimum GPA, specific coursework, or relevant experience. It is important to carefully review the requirements before applying.

What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree after a research internship?

Pursuing a graduate degree after a research internship can open up opportunities for advanced research positions, higher salaries, and leadership roles in the field. It also allows for further specialization and in-depth study of a particular topic.