Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FRW pertubations in overdense and underdense regions

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    I'm currently reading Dodelson's "Modern Cosmology" where he in Chapter 4.2 discuss the Boltzmann equation for photons and consider a perturbed FRW spacetime for which ##g_{00} = -1 - 2 \Psi## and ##g_{ij} = a^2 \delta_{ij}(1+2\Phi)##. At page 90 he states that "in an overdense region we have ##\Psi <0## and ##\Phi >0##. Why is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm not an expert in this area, so I can't give the "standard" answer for why it's true, but I can explain why it seems reasonable to me. Consider the Schwarzschild metric, for which ##g_{00} = - \left( 1 - 2M / r \right) = -1 + 2M / r## and ##g_{rr} = 1 / \left( 1 - 2M / r \right) \approx 1 + 2M / r## (where we are using an approximation in which ##M / r## is small so we can ignore quadratic and higher terms). This obviously looks a lot like the perturbed FRW metric; in fact, if we put the FRW metric in spherical coordinates, the two are the same (except for the scale factor ##a^2##) if we set ##\Psi = - M / r## and ##\Phi = M / r##. So basically, what Dodelson is saying is that in an overdense region, the extra mass (due to the overdensity) acts like an ordinary gravitating body.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook