FTC Part II: Solving for t*cos t|42x

• Thread starter Bazzinga
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of an integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The correct answer is -4x*cos(2x), which is found using the chain rule. The conversation also touches on the antiderivative of t*cos(t) and how to check the answer. The expert also thanks the person for their help and for helping them understand the concept better.
Bazzinga
(Not quite sure how to use Latex so I print screened it :tongue:)
[PLAIN]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5991/calc1.png

So I've been staring at this question, and I think I might have it but I'm not 100% sure, is the answer just

t*cos t |42x = (4)*cos(4) - (2x)*cos(2x) ?

Or am I looking at the question wrong?

EDIT:
Oh I think I've got it, would the answer just be 4*cos 4 by FTC part 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. That's not right. Suppose F(t) is an antiderivative. I.e. F'(t)=t*cos(t). Then you want to find d/dx of F(4)-F(2x), right? What's that?

Oh, I guess I was reading FTC part II wrong =P so I would have to integrate t*cos(t), making the answer...
dy/dx[4*sin(4) + cos(4)] - [2x*sin(2x) + cos(2x)] ?

Last edited:
Bazzinga said:
Oh, I guess I was reading FTC part II wrong =P so I would have to integrate t*cos(t), making the answer...
[4*sin(4) + cos(4)] - [2x*sin(2x) + cos(2x)] ?

No. You DON'T have to integrate (and you haven't done it right anyway). You are finding the DERIVATIVE of the integral. Do you agree with my previous post? Is F(4)-F(2x) the integral? Can you differentiate F(4)-F(2x)?

Dick said:
No. You DON'T have to integrate (and you haven't done it right anyway). You are finding the DERIVATIVE of the integral. Do you agree with my previous post? Is F(4)-F(2x) the integral? Can you differentiate F(4)-F(2x)?
I'm still not seeing what you're saying... You can differentiate F(4)-F(2x), it would be F'(4)-F'(2x), meaning the answer is what I said first? 4*cos(4) - 2x*cos(2x) ?
Ahh all this theory stuff makes my head spin :cry:

Bazzinga said:
I'm still not seeing what you're saying... You can differentiate F(4)-F(2x), it would be F'(4)-F'(2x), meaning the answer is what I said first? 4*cos(4) - 2x*cos(2x) ?
Ahh all this theory stuff makes my head spin :cry:

Don't cry. You're close with that answer. But F(4) is a constant, right? d/dx of a constant is zero isn't it? And for the second term you need to differentiate F(2x). You need to use the chain rule. It's a function of a function.

All you have to do is put the integral in the form of the theorem:
[tex]
\int_{2x}^{4}t\cos tdt=\int_{4}^{2x}-t\cos tdt
[/tex]
Now you see that a=4 and X=2x, so from here the derivative is...
The derivative of F(4) is zero as F(4) is a constant.

I think I get it! F'(4) is 0, so the answer is -F'(x) = -2x*cos(2x) ? Where am I doing something with the chain rule though?

Correct. Not too sure where the chain rule comes into it.

Bazzinga said:
I think I get it! F'(4) is 0, so the answer is -F'(x) = -2x*cos(2x) ? Where am I doing something with the chain rule though?

Not correct. The chain rule says the derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))*g'(x). Here f is F and g(x) is 2x. You are missing the g' part.

Ohh, I get it, so my equation will be F'(2x)*'(2x), meaning the final answer would be
-4x*cos(2x) !

Bazzinga said:
Ohh, I get it, so my equation will be F'(2x)*'(2x), meaning the final answer would be
-4x*cos(2x) !

Right. F'(2x)*(2x)'. If you want to check that, the antiderivative of t*cos(t) is F(t)=t*sin(t)+cos(t). You can check that you are right by actually finding F(4)-F(2x) and differentiating it.

Dick said:
Right. F'(2x)*(2x)'. If you want to check that, the antiderivative of t*cos(t) is F(t)=t*sin(t)+cos(t). You can check that you are right by actually finding F(4)-F(2x) and differentiating it.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your help, you really helped me understand it instead of just throwing an answer at me

1. What is FTC Part II?

FTC Part II, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II, is a key concept in calculus that explains how to find the value of a definite integral using the antiderivative of the function being integrated.

2. What does "t*cos t|42x" mean?

The notation "t*cos t|42x" represents the function t*cos t evaluated at the value of 42x.

3. Why is it important to solve for t*cos t|42x?

Solving for t*cos t|42x is important because it allows you to find the value of a definite integral, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How do you solve for t*cos t|42x?

To solve for t*cos t|42x, you can use the FTC Part II formula, which states that the definite integral of a function f(x) from a to b is equal to the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at b minus the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at a. In this case, the function f(x) is t*cos t and the values of a and b are given by 0 and 42x, respectively.

5. Are there any tips for solving for t*cos t|42x?

One tip for solving for t*cos t|42x is to first find the antiderivative of t*cos t, which can be done using integration by parts. Another tip is to carefully follow the steps of the FTC Part II formula, making sure to evaluate the antiderivative at the correct values of a and b.