Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fully adiabatic process?

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1
    fully adiabatic process??????

:confused: by definition i know that adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat transfer and it the same time i also know that nothing is frictionless even though we sometimes assume thing to be. so therefore there will be always heat transfer but i am not still sure if i am wright and was wondering if it possible to have a process which is fully adiabatic??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the important thing to learn is not how a process might not be perfectly adiabatic (or isothermal). The important thing to understand is what processes you can model using the assumption that the process is adiabatic. If you look at this from the perspective that you want to model an actual process, and you want to make simplifying assumtions such that you can calculate such things as fluid states, then you have to understand when you can model such a process as being adiabatic in order to simplify it sufficiently to create the correct model.

There are two general classes of adiabatic processes that I can think of.
    1. A process that is insulated such that there is insignificant heat transfer.
    2. A process that happens so quickly that heat has little or no time to influence what happens.

What processes can you think of that might fit those two catagories?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?