Adiabatic cooling in this process involving liquid ammonia

aladinlamp
TL;DR Summary
Adiabatic cooling
Entry conditions: liquid ammonia , 1 bar , temp -34 celsius,
i supply heat Q to heat it to 4.5 celsius, 10 bar,
than i release it into empty vessel until inside reaches also 1 bar,
expansion,adiabatic cooling, uses internal energy of ammonia to expand and cool itself

1. can we assume, after this cycle finishes, exit temperature of ammonia will be always higher than entry temperature, since this process is not fully reversible, not 100% efficient ?
2. can we achieve exit temperature lower than entry temp, if we use expander with load, to extract even more internal energy from gas?

Science news on Phys.org
Please provide more details of the process. For example, show end points of each step in p-H diagram, and describe better what is the process for each step.

Chestermiller said:
Please provide more details of the process. For example, show end points of each step in p-H diagram, and describe better what is the process for each step.
Hi, I made some errors in setting up my initial conditions, so let's reevaluate them step by step. In the diagram, there are two points, A and B:

• Point A represents a 1-liter container filled with liquid ammonia at a pressure of 1 Bar and a temperature of 240 Kelvin. Heat, denoted as Q1, is added to the ammonia to increase its temperature.
  • Point B represents a 1-liter container filled only with gaseous ammonia at a pressure of 20 Bar and a temperature of 323 Kelvin.
I'm trying to determine a new point C on the chart under these assumptions:

• The heat exchange occurs only within the ammonia itself.
  • The ammonia from the 1-liter container is released through a valve into another container until the pressure in both containers equalizes at 1 Bar. Eventually, there will be ammonia at 1 Bar pressure in a both volumes.
My question is: What will be the average temperature of ammonia in both containers at the end of this process, where is next point C ?
ab.png

Last edited:
aladinlamp said:
Hi, I made some errors in setting up my initial conditions, so let's reevaluate them step by step. In the diagram, there are two points, A and B:

• Point A represents a 1-liter container filled with liquid ammonia at a pressure of 1 Bar and a temperature of 240 Kelvin. Heat, denoted as Q1, is added to the ammonia to increase its temperature.
aladinlamp said:
  • Point B represents a 1-liter container filled only with gaseous ammonia at a pressure of 20 Bar and a temperature of 323 Kelvin.
Point B on the p-H diagram represents saturated liquid, not gas.

ok, where is correct location of point B ?

aladinlamp said:
ok, where is correct location of point B ?
On the right hand side of the saturation envelope, not the left hand side. But, of course, for the same mass of ammonia at points A and B, the volume at B will be much larger than 1 liter.

What is adiabatic cooling in the process involving liquid ammonia?

Adiabatic cooling is a process in which the temperature of a substance decreases due to a reduction in pressure, without any heat being added or removed from the system. In the case of liquid ammonia, adiabatic cooling occurs when the liquid ammonia expands rapidly, causing a decrease in temperature.

How does adiabatic cooling affect the properties of liquid ammonia?

Adiabatic cooling causes the temperature of liquid ammonia to decrease, which can lead to changes in its physical properties such as viscosity, density, and vapor pressure. These changes can impact the behavior of liquid ammonia in various applications.

What are the applications of adiabatic cooling in processes involving liquid ammonia?

Adiabatic cooling in processes involving liquid ammonia is commonly used in refrigeration systems, air conditioning units, and industrial cooling processes. It is also utilized in chemical reactions that require precise temperature control.

How is adiabatic cooling achieved in liquid ammonia systems?

Adiabatic cooling in liquid ammonia systems is typically achieved by allowing the liquid to expand rapidly through a valve or nozzle, causing a decrease in temperature. This process can be controlled and optimized to achieve the desired cooling effect.

What are the advantages of using adiabatic cooling in liquid ammonia systems?

Some advantages of using adiabatic cooling in liquid ammonia systems include energy efficiency, precise temperature control, and reduced environmental impact compared to traditional cooling methods. Adiabatic cooling can also be a cost-effective solution for cooling applications that require high performance and reliability.