Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun with cryogenics and whip cream

1. Jul 9, 2007 #1
    has any one heard about dipping a can of shaving cream in liquid nitrogen, stripping away the metal and then placing the remains in a car. The effect is supposed to be that the shaving cream expands to such a great volume that it fills the entire car.

If this is possible I was wondering if the same can be done with whip cream.:rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2007 #2
    No, shaving cream is expanding by the boiling of a liquid gas propellant that is under pressure in the can. Whipped cream is full of air at atmospheric pressure. No additional expansion will be available.

Sorry, I was thinking of the old fashioned way of making whipped cream by hand. If you are using a pressurized can of whipped cream the same results may happen.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. Aug 25, 2007 #3
    This definitely calls for an experiment, though in order to preserve a reasonable degree of goodwill within society in general I may reccomend not using a car for the testing.

Atleast not a very expensive one.

5. Aug 25, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Real 'Whipped cream' doesn't expand further - it's already whipped.
    I think the OP meant the synthetic 'squirty cream' that come in an presurised can, I think that is cream (probably plus some emulsifier or vegatable oil) and a propellant. So it might work.

6. Aug 25, 2007 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

Wouldn't one get the same amount of expansion by simply taping down the trigger and letting the cream (whipped or shaving) out of the can?

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but that is being a bit sensible ! It's more fun to watch the uncontrollable expansion of a frozen block of the stuff - at least if it isn't you car.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?