1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function negative for all values of x

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the range of values of m for which the function 3x^2 -12x + m is negative for all values of x.

2. Relevant equations
    Is it possible for the function to be negative ? If so, how ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using b^2 - 4ac < 0 and the result is m > 12 . However when i tried substituting *13* as the value of m and *1* as the value of x, the result is a positive number.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I don't think that any such value of m exists. Just picture this intuitively. What does the graph look like? Is it shaped like a smiley expression or sad expression? Moreover, even if the discriminant is less than zero it just means that the graph doesn't cut the x-axis. It doesn't mean that it is below the x-axis.
  4. Jun 15, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Defennder is correct: No such value of m exists. Complete the square, or just see that 3x^2 - 12x itself can be made as large as required to cancel out any value of m.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?