Function: Prove it is 1-to-1, Onto, and find Inverse

In summary, the given function f(x) = a if x = c and f(x) = (ax - b) / (x - c) if x != c is one-to-one and onto. This can be shown through examining two cases and using the fact that b - ac does not equal 0. By solving for x in the second case, it can be proven that the function is onto.
rooski

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c E R with b != ac and let the function f : R --> R be given by

f(x) = a if x = c
f(x) = (ax - b) / (x - c) if x != c

Show that f(x) is one-to-one
Show that f(x) is onto
Show the inverse of f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want anyone to solve this for me, i just need a push in the right direction. My textbook is next to useless. There are no similar examples showing how to work with piecewise functions.

The one thing my book shows is that we take 2 arbitrary variables and prove that f(v1) and f(v2) have differing values in the domain and range.

How can you even conclude that a function is one-to-one with such a weak proof though? Especially complex piecewise functions like mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
rooski said:

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c E R with b != ac and let the function f : R --> R be given by

f(x) = a if x = c
f(x) = (ax - b) / (x - c) if x != c

Show that f(x) is one-to-one
Show that f(x) is onto
Show the inverse of f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want anyone to solve this for me, i just need a push in the right direction. My textbook is next to useless. There are no similar examples showing how to work with piecewise functions.

The one thing my book shows is that we take 2 arbitrary variables and prove that f(v1) and f(v2) have differing values in the domain and range.
Your book should have a better definition of one-to-one than this - something like f(x1) = f(x2) ==> x1 = x2. (I switched from your v1 and v2 to x1 and x2.)

This is equivalent to x1 [itex]\neq[/itex] x2 ==> f(x1) [itex]\neq[/itex] f(x2).

Start with two different x values, x1 and x2, and show that f(x1) [itex]\neq[/itex] f(x2). Since you have a piecewise defined function, I think you'll need two different cases:
1. x1 = c, x2 [itex]\neq[/itex] c
2. x1 [itex]\neq[/itex] c, and x2 [itex]\neq[/itex] c, with x1 and x2 being different.

I don't think you need a third case, with x1 [itex]\neq[/itex] c, and x2 = c, since that would be covered by case 1.

That's how I would start out.

rooski said:
How can you even conclude that a function is one-to-one with such a weak proof though? Especially complex piecewise functions like mine.

Okay with those cases in mind I'll start at Case 1.

f(x1) = f(x2) translates to a = (ax-b)/(x-c)

Right?

I am confused because in my notes, they essentially whittle the equation down until it shows x1 = x2, but only one side of my equation has x in it.

Last edited:
rooski said:
Okay with those cases in mind I'll start at Case 1.

f(x1) = f(x2) translates to a = (ax-b)/(x-c)

Right?
You're going at it the opposite way that I suggested, which was to show that, if x1 != x2, then f(x1) != f(x2).
rooski said:
I am confused because in my notes, they essentially whittle the equation down until it shows x1 = x2, but only one side of my equation has x in it.

Oh sorry. So i want to aim to prove that a != (ax-b)/(x-c)...

Isn't that already painfully obvious, just from looking at it though? Is there any simplifying needed for this?

Just looking at it wouldn't be enough. Since it's so obvious, it should be easy to show that if x1 != x2 (and as in case 1), then f(x1) != f(x2). After evaluating f(x2) the resulting expression should involve x2.

I kind of shuffled case 1 to the side - i don't exactly know how to go about doing it. I got some progress on Case 2.

-snip, error-

Last edited:
rooski said:
So what i did now was firstly remove c from the bottom
What's your justification for doing that?

-EDIT-

i figured out Case 2.

I'm stuck on case 1 though.

a != (ax-b)/(x-c)

Since this is an inequality, what manipulations can i do? Can i move a to the right hand side? I want to eventually prove that both sides can never have the same value, right?

Last edited:
Alright i finished the question, thanks for the help all.

Last edited:
rooski said:
Alright i finished the question, thanks for the help all.

What was the answer? I am trying to work on the exact same question and I am totally confused.

To find if it is 1-to-1 you must break it into 2 cases, which i discussed earlier.

The trick is to use the fact that b-ac != 0 in order to show x1 = x2.

To show the function is onto, you examine both cases again. Case 1 is simple, and Case 2 you must solve in terms of x (invert it so that you get x = equation with y in it).

rooski said:
To find if it is 1-to-1 you must break it into 2 cases, which i discussed earlier.

The trick is to use the fact that b-ac != 0 in order to show x1 = x2.

To show the function is onto, you examine both cases again. Case 1 is simple, and Case 2 you must solve in terms of x (invert it so that you get x = equation with y in it).

im still lost, can you give me a little more info to help push me in the right direction.

What does it mean for a function to be 1-to-1?

A function is 1-to-1 if each input has a unique output. In other words, no two different inputs can produce the same output. This is also known as injectivity.

What is the definition of an onto function?

An onto function is one where every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This is also known as surjectivity.

How do you prove that a function is 1-to-1?

To prove that a function is 1-to-1, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not 1-to-1. You can also use algebraic methods, such as showing that if f(x1) = f(x2), then x1 = x2.

How do you prove that a function is onto?

To prove that a function is onto, you can show that for every element in the range, there is at least one element in the domain that maps to it. This can be done by substitution or by showing that the range is equal to the codomain of the function.

What is the inverse of a function and how do you find it?

The inverse of a function is a new function that undoes the original function. In other words, if f(x) maps x to y, then the inverse function f^-1(y) maps y back to x. To find the inverse of a function, you can switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting function will be the inverse function.