1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function that is an isomorphism

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So my text states the proposition:
    If V and W are finite dimensional vector spaces, then there is an isomorphism T:V→W ⇔ dim(V)=dim(W).

So, in an example the text give the transformation T:P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)→P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)
    defined by T(p(x)) = x dp(x)/dx.

Now I understand T is not an isomorphism since ker(T) = span(1) , the set of all constant polynomial functions. But by the above theorem since the dim(V) = dim(W), T would an isomorphism.
    So I'm a bit confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2
    The theorem says that there is some function that is an isomorphism. It does not say that any function ##T## is an isomorphism.

In your example, the theorem is satisfied since ##S(x) = x## is an isomorphism. But the theorem does not say that any arbitrary ##T## is an isomorphism. So you can not deduce that your ##T## is an isomorphism from the theorem.

4. Jan 1, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The theorem says that if dim(V) = dim(W) then there is an isomorphism. It doesn't say any old map you choose is an isomorphism. Your map isn't onto.

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4
    Ok thanks alot. Its makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted