1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an image and annihilator of a kernel are equal

1. May 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose T:V→U is linear and V has finite dimension. Prove that Im Tt = (Ker T)0

2. Relevant equations
    dim(W)+dim(W0)=dim(V) where W is a subspace of V and V has finite dimension.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first proved Im Tt ⊆ (Ker T)0. Let u be an arbitrary element of Ker T and Tt(Φ )∈ Im Tt, then Tt(Φ)(u)=Φ(T(u))=Φ(0)=0. Thus, since all elements of Im Tt map all elements of Ker T into 0, Im Tt ⊆ (Ker T)0.

I now only need to proof dim((Ker T)0) = dim Im Tt. Since V has finite dimension, dim((Ker T)0) = dim(V)-dim(Ker T), but dim(Im T) = dim(V)-dim(Ker T). Thus, dim((Ker T)0)=dim(Im T). This is where I got stuck, how do I prove dim (Im T) = dim ((Im T)0)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2
    this assumption is redundant. Redundant assumptions just obscure a core of the theorem and make proof more complicated than it really is.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. May 20, 2017 #3
    Hint.
    First prove a
    Theorem. Let ##A:V\to U,\quad w:V\to\mathbb{R}## be lenear mappings such that ##\mathrm{ker}\,A\subseteq \mathrm{ker}\,w##. Then there exist a linear mapping ##\Lambda:U\to\mathbb{R}## such that ##w=\Lambda A##.

It is actually a special case of some another general theorem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted