1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function that is open but not closed?

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An example of a function that is open but not closed, and an example of a function that is closed but not open.

2. Relevant equations
    The function f is open (closed) if f[A] is open (closed) for each open (closed) set A in X.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a topology question and I don't understand it. The only attempt I have made was to guess at a function with < instead of =. If somebody could clarify on the point of what these "functions" look like. Are they the standard, f(x) = x^2 type, or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They can be "standard." For example, if you give [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] its usual topology, then f(x)=x^2 (as a function from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) is closed but not open.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    I was on the right track?

Is f(x) < x , open but not closed? Is any function with < or > open but not closed?

EDIT: I meant, given the usual topology and from R --> R

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "f(x)< x" being "open but not closed". That is neither a function nor a set so "open" and "closed" do not apply.

It might be good for you to think about what a function is first. The problem asks for specific examples of functions.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    I have thought about what you said. Is y<x an open function?

EDIT: I am having trouble determining the difference between open, and open function.

7. Oct 5, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The real question is: is y<x a function?

Maybe a better question would be: what exactly do you mean by "y<x"?!

8. Oct 5, 2008 #7
    I don't feel that it is a function, but my book says that y^2 + x^2 < 9 is open. It doesn't specify that it is an open function though. I also don't have any other examples.

Is there a function that is open?

EDIT: I won't bother you guys (gals) too much more but here is my last attempt. The
    function? f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 < 9 . ??

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. Oct 5, 2008 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is not a function. It is, however, an open set.

Consider the simple function f(x)=x. The image of this function for any open set A is the open set A, and the image for any closed set B is the closed set B. f(x)=x is both an open and closed function. So this simple function doesn't work as far as solving your problem.

You need to come up with functions f and g where f is open but not closed and g is closed but not open. What this means is that f(A) is an open set for any open set A in the domain of f, but f(B) is not a closed set for any closed set in the domain of f, and similar for g.

10. Oct 5, 2008 #9
    What is it that makes f(x)=x^2 closed but not open? I do not understand how this is different from f(x)=x which is open and closed.

11. Oct 5, 2008 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given f(x)=x^2, what is the image of some open set that contains zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?