Open/Closed continuous maps between the plane

In summary, the conversation discusses examples of maps between subsets of the plane that are open but not closed or continuous, closed but not open or continuous, continuous and open but not closed, continuous and closed but not open, and open and closed but not continuous. Ideas for these maps, such as sending each basis element to its closure or sending the closure of each basis element to its interior, were suggested and discussed. The need for one more map to complete the set of (a)-(f) was also mentioned, as well as the need to be explicit about the definition of open and closed in relation to the topology of the domain and range.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Give examples of maps between subsets of the plane (with Euclidean toplogy) that are:
a) open but not closed or continuous
b) closed but not open or continuous
c) continuous and open but not closed
e) continuous and closed but not open
f) open and closed but not continuous

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i just want to get this thread up now and then update it as I work on each of these individually... I have a few thoughts so far

e) How about a map R^2-->R^2 that sends each basis element to it's closure?
c) Maybe a map R^2--->R^2 that sends the closure of each basis element to it's interior?

I will think about this more and post more ideas for the other ones... If anyone could critique what I have thought of so far I'd appreciate it :D.

Thanks PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do we need one more to complete the set of (a)-(f): A continuous map that is not open or closed?

Also, I think it is important to be explicit about what we mean by open and closed. Literally, open (closed) means that it maps sets that are open (closed) in the topology of the domain to sets that are open (closed) in the topology of the range. Note that those are both subspace topologies. If the domain is a proper subset of the plane, a set may be open (closed) in the domain but not in the plane. The same applies to the range.

One consequence of this is that in some cases we may be able to convert a map from not-open (not-closed) to open (closed) simply by changing the range.

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. What is an open continuous map between the plane?

An open continuous map between the plane is a function that maps open sets in the plane to open sets in the plane. This means that for any open set in the domain, the image of that set is also open in the range.

2. How is an open continuous map different from a closed continuous map between the plane?

An open continuous map only guarantees that open sets are mapped to open sets, while a closed continuous map guarantees that closed sets are mapped to closed sets. This means that a closed continuous map may also map open sets to closed sets.

3. What are the properties of a closed continuous map between the plane?

A closed continuous map between the plane has the following properties:

• Maps closed sets to closed sets
  • Preserves compactness
  • Preserves connectedness
  • Preserves path-connectedness

4. Can a map be both open and closed continuous between the plane?

Yes, a map can be both open and closed continuous between the plane. This type of map is known as a homeomorphism and it preserves both open and closed sets, as well as other topological properties.

5. What are some examples of open and closed continuous maps between the plane?

Examples of open continuous maps between the plane include the identity map and translations. Examples of closed continuous maps between the plane include constant maps and projections. A homeomorphism between the plane and a circle is an example of a map that is both open and closed continuous.