Functional Quantization of Scalar Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific term in the transition from equation 9.26 to 9.27 in section 9.2 of Peskin and Schroeder. It is split into two cases, with one case resulting in a zero integral and the other resulting in a nonzero integral. Further evaluation leads to the factor \frac{-iV}{m^2-k_{m}^2-i\epsilon}, but the origin of this factor is unclear.
maverick280857
Hi everyone,

I'm reading section 9.2 of Peskin and Schroeder, and have trouble understanding the origin of a term in the transition from equation 9.26 to 9.27. Specifically, equation 9.26 is

[tex]\frac{1}{V^2}\sum_{m,l}e^{-(k_m\cdot x_1 + k_l\cdot x_2)}\left(\prod_{k_{n}^{0}>0}\int d \Re \phi_{n}d \Im \phi_{n}\right)\times (\Re \phi_m + i\Im \phi_m)(\Re \phi_n + i\Im \phi_n)\times\exp{\left[-\frac{i}{V}\sum_{k_{n}^{0}>0}(m^2-k_{n}^2)\left[(\Re \phi_n)^2 + (\Im \phi_n)^2\right]\right]}[/tex]

This splits into two cases:

Case 1: [itex]k_l = k_m[/itex], when the integral is zero.
Case 2: [itex]k_l = -k_m[/itex], when the integral is nonzero.

So, evaluating the Gaussian integral one gets

[tex]\mbox{Numerator} = \frac{1}{V^2}\sum_{m,l}e^{-(k_m\cdot x_1 + k_l\cdot x_2)}\left(\prod_{k_{n}^{0}>0}\frac{-i\pi V}{m^2 - k_{n}^2}\right)\frac{-iV}{m^2-k_{m}^2-i\epsilon}[/tex]

Where does the factor

[tex]\frac{-iV}{m^2-k_{m}^2-i\epsilon}[/tex]

come from? I know this is like [itex]\int x^2 e^{-x^2}dx[/itex], but I can't seem to get this factor.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Thank you for sharing your question and thoughts on section 9.2 of Peskin and Schroeder. The term in question, \frac{-iV}{m^2-k_{m}^2-i\epsilon}, arises from the functional quantization of scalar fields. This term represents the contribution of a single mode of the field, with momentum k_m, to the overall amplitude of the field. The factor of -i accounts for the imaginary part of the field, and the factor of V comes from the volume of space over which the field is being quantized. The term in the denominator, m^2-k_{m}^2-i\epsilon, is a result of the Feynman propagator, which accounts for the propagation of the field in time and space. The i\epsilon term is commonly used in quantum field theory to ensure convergence of integrals and to account for the possibility of virtual particles. I hope this helps clarify the origin of the term in question. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is functional quantization of scalar fields?

Functional quantization of scalar fields is a mathematical framework used to describe and study the behavior of scalar fields, which are physical quantities that vary in space and time. It involves breaking down these fields into smaller, discrete units and using mathematical techniques to analyze their properties.

2. Why is functional quantization important in the field of physics?

Functional quantization is important in physics because it allows us to better understand the behavior of scalar fields and their interactions with other physical systems. This can lead to a deeper understanding of fundamental physical laws and the development of new theories and technologies.

3. How does functional quantization differ from other methods of quantization?

Functional quantization differs from other methods of quantization in that it involves treating scalar fields as continuous functions rather than discrete particles. This allows for a more comprehensive and flexible approach to studying their behavior.

4. What are some practical applications of functional quantization?

Functional quantization has many practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and cosmology. It can be used to study the behavior of particles in high energy physics, model the evolution of the early universe, and analyze complex systems in condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any limitations to functional quantization?

Like any mathematical framework, functional quantization has its limitations. It may not be suitable for describing certain types of fields or systems, and it relies heavily on mathematical approximations and assumptions. Additionally, the results obtained from functional quantization must always be interpreted in the context of the assumptions and approximations made during the quantization process.