Prefactor in Canonical Quantization of Scalar Field

In summary, the different normalizations for the ##\hat a## and ##\hat a^\dagger## in Peskin and Srednicki's books are causing confusion for me because they seem to conflict with each other. The commutators of the creation/destruction operators should be the same, but they are not.
thatboi
Hey all,
I am encountering an issue reconciling the choice of prefactors in the canonical quantization of the scalar field between Srednicki and Peskin's books. In Peskin's book (see equation (2.47)), there is a prefactor of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_{p}}}## whereas in Srednicki's book (see equation (3.18) and (3.19)), there is a prefactor of ##\frac{1}{2\omega}##. What concerns me is that if we take the derivative with respect to time of the field, then in Peskin's case, we are left with a ##\sqrt{E_{p}}## factor whereas in Srednicki's book, the ##\frac{1}{\omega}## prefactor completely disappears, so I fail to see how these 2 definitions can be equivalent.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare also the commutators of creation/destruction operators, they should be different too, so that at the end the commutators between the field and its time derivative are the same.

Likes topsquark, thatboi and malawi_glenn
Yes, different books uses different normalizations for the ##\hat a## and ##\hat a^\dagger##

Likes topsquark, vanhees71, thatboi and 1 other person
Great, thanks a lot. My confusion initially came from when I was looking through Itzykson's QFT book and came upon this discussion on pg. 521:
1679847504828.png

Specifically, looking at how the scalar field is quantized in equation (11.39), it seems to me that if we used Peskin's definition of normalization, then the energy term wouldn't cancel out after we take the derivative with respect to time and thus we couldn't evaluate the integral in equation (11.41) right (since the energy term is also necessarily a function of the spatial coordinates of momentum).

Likes vanhees71
It depends, at which place you want to have it convenient. If you want the creation and annihilation operators to create momentum eigenstates normalized to 1, you need the ##1/\sqrt{2 E_{\vec{p}}}## factors in the mode decomposition. If you want manifestly covariant integrals in the mode decomposition you need the ##1/(2 E_{\vec{p}})## factors. That's because ##\mathrm{d}^2 p/(2 E_{\vec{p}})## is mainfestly Lorentz invariant.

The correct factor of the field is of course always uniquely defined by the equal-time (anti-)commutator relations,
$$[\hat{\Phi}(t,\vec{x}),\hat{\Pi}(t,\vec{y})]=\mathrm{i} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}).$$

Likes topsquark

1. What is the prefactor in canonical quantization of scalar field?

The prefactor in canonical quantization of scalar field is a mathematical constant that is used to normalize the quantum field operators in order to ensure that the resulting quantum states have the correct physical dimensions. It is typically denoted by the symbol Z and is equal to the square root of the inverse of the Hamiltonian operator.

2. Why is the prefactor important in canonical quantization of scalar field?

The prefactor is important in canonical quantization of scalar field because it ensures that the resulting quantum states have the correct physical dimensions. This is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of the quantum field and making meaningful predictions about its properties.

3. How is the prefactor calculated in canonical quantization of scalar field?

The prefactor is calculated by taking the square root of the inverse of the Hamiltonian operator. The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of the quantum field, and its inverse is used to normalize the quantum field operators.

4. Does the prefactor change for different types of scalar fields?

Yes, the prefactor can vary for different types of scalar fields. This is because the prefactor is dependent on the specific Hamiltonian operator of the quantum field, which can differ for different types of scalar fields.

5. How does the prefactor affect the quantization of scalar fields?

The prefactor plays a crucial role in the quantization of scalar fields by ensuring that the resulting quantum states have the correct physical dimensions. Without the prefactor, the quantization of scalar fields would not accurately describe the behavior of the quantum field and could lead to incorrect predictions about its properties.