Functional representation of the oscillating graph

In summary: Actually since the x-axis (the domain of the function) is also subject to evolution, the result may come in different shapes. But you can take only one of them as reference.
yilmaz
Homework Statement
this is actually not a homework
Relevant Equations
tsin(ct)
Hi;

This is in fact not a homework question, but it rather comes out of personal curiosity.
If you look at the graph of the two functions in the image attached, what is the simplest functional representation for such a symmetrical pattern?

image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you tell us more about where you got these plots? What do they represent? Can you give a link to the website or paper where you found them? Thanks.

Likes yilmaz
They look like ##x \sin(\omega x)##, which I see you have indicated already. What is wrong with that?

haruspex said:
They look like ##x \sin(\omega x)##, which I see you have indicated already. What is wrong with that?
Hi @haruspex,

It actually works, but only for positive x. For negative x, I want to see it mirrored, and in addition I would like to avoid using abs or conditionals in the function.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you tell us more about where you got these plots? What do they represent? Can you give a link to the website or paper where you found them? Thanks.
hi berkeman,

It’s actually my plot, so there’s no link. It’s the result of an evolutionary algorithm for a specific problem , where I consistently get such graphs. Since I’m not a physicist, I wanted to consult if there is any simple function representation that fits the shape.

How about ##x^2 \sin x##?

Likes yilmaz
yilmaz said:
It’s actually my plot, so there’s no link. It’s the result of an evolutionary algorithm for a specific problem , where I consistently get such graphs.
What is the difference between the two plots? Did you just squeeze the horizontal axis to make the 2nd plot?

Also, it looks a lot like an AM modulated sine wave to me...

1666558014744.png

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/rbeats/img34.png

Likes yilmaz
vela said:
Good point.. it is not ##x \sin (x)## since that is an even function whereas the graphs show an odd function. But whether the peaks show a quadratic behaviour is unclear. Could be something like ##x^{\frac 23} \sin (x)##

Likes yilmaz
vela said:
Thanks @vela, that’s pretty close but when plotted, it doesn’t cut the origin like a diagonal as in the two sample graphs, but rather becomes tangent. But that’s a nice clue.

You want an odd function, so try ##x \cos x##.

Likes yilmaz
vela said:
You want an odd function, so try ##x \cos x##.
great, I think this really looks the same! thanks a lot!

Last edited:
yilmaz said:
Thanks @vela, that’s pretty close but when plotted, it doesn’t cut the origin like a diagonal as in the two sample graphs, but rather becomes tangent. But that’s a nice clue.
Do you have the curves as datapoints? If you figure out the frequency (looks sort of constant) you could divide by ## \sin(\omega x)## and try to fit the resulting curve.

Likes yilmaz
berkeman said:
What is the difference between the two plots? Did you just squeeze the horizontal axis to make the 2nd plot?

Also, it looks a lot like an AM modulated sine wave to me...

View attachment 315930
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/rbeats/img34.png
thanks @betk
haruspex said:
Do you have the curves as datapoints? If you figure out the frequency (looks sort of constant) you could divide by ## \sin(\omega x)## and try to fit the resulting curve.
yes i have the datapoints, I’ll try to figure out then…

yilmaz said:
the difference of the two plots are coming from two different random runs.
Why the big difference in spatial frequency? What are the units for your two axes?

berkeman said:
Why the big difference in spatial frequency? What are the units for your two axes?
Actually since the x-axis (the domain of the function) is also subject to evolution, the result may come in different shapes. But you can take only one of them as reference. However, as @vela stated, xcos(x) works quite well, I guess this is the function that I was looking for.

1. What is a functional representation of an oscillating graph?

A functional representation of an oscillating graph is a mathematical expression or equation that describes the behavior of the graph over time. It can be used to predict future values of the graph or analyze patterns and trends.

2. How is a functional representation different from a graphical representation?

A functional representation is a mathematical equation, while a graphical representation is a visual depiction of the data. Functional representations provide a more precise and quantitative understanding of the graph, while graphical representations offer a more qualitative understanding.

3. What are the key components of a functional representation of an oscillating graph?

The key components of a functional representation of an oscillating graph include the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the oscillations. The amplitude represents the maximum distance from the mean value, the frequency represents the number of oscillations per unit time, and the phase represents the starting point of the oscillations.

4. How is a functional representation of an oscillating graph useful in real-world applications?

A functional representation of an oscillating graph can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior. It can also be used to analyze and optimize the performance of these systems.

5. Can a functional representation accurately capture all aspects of an oscillating graph?

No, a functional representation is an idealized model and may not fully capture all the complexities of a real-world oscillating graph. Factors such as external influences and noise may affect the accuracy of the functional representation. However, it can provide a good approximation and understanding of the graph's behavior.