Functions and their Extrema: Understanding Absolute Maxima and Minima

In summary, there is no absolute maximum for a function such as f(x) = x2 because as x increases, f(x) increases indefinitely. However, for a function such as f(x) = x2, there is a local maximum at x=0.
nDever
Hey guys,

I have learned that for a function f defined on an open interval I(a, b), an absolute extremum may not occur. Is this because the domain may take on every value greater than a or less than b without ever equaling a or b?

[EDIT]

Disregard the question above. I just realized. For a function such as f(x) = x2, there is no absolute maximum because as x increases, f(x) increases indefinitely.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your ideas:
Does [tex]e^{-x^2}+x^2[/tex] ... have an absolute maximum at x=0?

Simon Bridge said:
Check your ideas:
Does [tex]e^{-x^2}+x^2[/tex] ... have an absolute maximum at x=0?

Wouldn't that be a minimum?

how do you figure?

Simon Bridge said:
how do you figure?

At 0, y=1 and for all other x less than or greater than zero, y is equal to or greater than 1. Correct?

It's pretty flat about x=0 isn't it? ... how about:
[tex]2e^{-x^2} + \frac{1}{2}x^2[/tex]

Simon Bridge said:
It's pretty flat about x=0 isn't it? ... how about:
[tex]2e^{-x^2} + \frac{1}{2}x^2[/tex]

For this, wouldn't the absolute minima be at the troughs around x= 1 and x= -1 and the absolute maximum doesn't exist?

There is a local maximum at x=0, but it ain't global.

If there is one "absolute" or global minima, then it is "unique"... here there is no unique global minimum. Well done.

Technically they are at: [itex] x = \pm \sqrt{-\ln{(1/4)}} \approx \pm 1.1773[/itex] but I'm not really looking for exact here, just understanding.

There is no new math here, it's just a matter of getting used to the common language.

How did you post the mathematics in the format that you did? Tags?

If you quote my message you'll see the tags.

The bb code is [tex] (pronounced tech - as in technology) - to put equations inline like I did use [itex]. Everything written inside those tags is LaTeX (lay-tech).
This is an academic standard way to mark-up documents for publication: really worth learning. The forum server has an engine which can turn LaTeX markup into a graphic... It makes writing out math very very simple and clear.

There are loads of tutorials etc around the web, and you can get a "Latex" program for any platform for you to use at home.
The only problem is, when you tell someone "I am really into latex." they look at you funny.

OK, so then allow me to do another example.

for [tex]2e^{-x^2} + \frac{1}{2}x[/tex],

there wouldn't be any global extrema. Zero would be a local maximum, and the the local minimum would depend on the open interval. Is this correct?

Extrema are all local to themselves, so it is a fair characterization without specifying the region. I checked and it turns out that you can have more than one global extrema ... which is why the term "unique" gets applied when there is only one.

In [itex]f(x)=x(x-1)(x+1)[/itex] there are two extrema, neither are global.

The fun thing is that the function can be anything ... eg. does the dirac delta function have any extrema?

Simon Bridge said:
Extrema are all local to themselves

So you mean that all extrema are local, but not all local extrema are global?

That would be right.

I use local and global for relative and absolute - I don't think it matters.
But it is useful to play around and explore to deepen your understanding.
It's usually more important to be able to express words in math than math in words though.

So now you can use the language, and you learned to use LaTeX.
That should be enough for now :)

Simon Bridge said:
But it is useful to play around and explore to deepen your understanding.
It's usually more important to be able to express words in math than math in words though.

I agree. I am better at understanding the concept and creating abstractions in my mind than I am at mathematical terminology.

Thank you for all of your help.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where every input (or independent variable) has exactly one output (or dependent variable).

2. What is an extrema of a function?

An extrema of a function is a point where the function has the highest or lowest value, also known as the maximum or minimum, respectively.

3. How do you find the extrema of a function?

To find the extrema of a function, you can use calculus by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. Then, solve for the input value(s) that make the derivative equal to zero. These input values correspond to the extrema of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple extrema, including both maximum and minimum points. This can occur when the function has multiple "peaks" or "valleys" in its graph.

5. What is the significance of extrema in real-world applications?

Extrema are important in real-world applications because they represent the highest or lowest values of a function, which can be useful for making predictions or optimizing a system. For example, businesses may use extrema to determine the most profitable price for a product, or engineers may use extrema to design the most efficient structures.