Do we get the extrema from that graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the extrema of the function $f(x,y)=x^2y$ subject to the constraint $3x+2y=9$. The process involves solving for one variable in the constraint and using the first derivative to find critical points. The second derivative is then used to determine the type of extremum at each critical point. It is concluded that the extrema are only under the constraint and not of the whole function. The contour lines of the function and constraint are also plotted to visualize the extrema.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am looking at the following exercise:

1. Detremine the extrema of the function $f(x,y)=x^2y$ subject to $3x+2y=9$.
  2. Prove also the second order condition. What kind is the extremum?
  3. Is this an extremum of the whole function $f(x,y)$?
  4. Draw the contour lines of $f(x,y)$ and the constraint.
I have done the following:
  1. We can solve the constraint for one variable: \begin{equation*}3x+2y=9 \Rightarrow 3x=9-2y \Rightarrow x=\frac{9-2y}{3} \Rightarrow x=3-\frac{2}{3}y\end{equation*}

Therefore, we get a function of one variable:
    \begin{equation*}h(y)=f\left (3-\frac{2}{3}y, y\right )=\left (3-\frac{2}{3}y\right )^2\cdot y=\left (9-2\cdot 3\cdot \frac{2}{3}y+\frac{4}{9}y^2\right )\cdot y=\left (9-4y+\frac{4}{9}y^2\right )\cdot y=9y-4y^2+\frac{4}{9}y^3\end{equation*}

So, we are looking for the extrema of $h(y)$ using the first derivative:
    \begin{equation*}h'(y)=9-2\cdot 4y+3\cdot \frac{4}{9}y^2=9-8y+\frac{4}{3}y^2\end{equation*}

The critical points of $h(y)=f\left (3-\frac{2}{3}y, y\right )$ are $y=\frac{3}{2}$ and $y=\frac{9}{2}$.

Therefore, the critical points of $f(x,y)$ are the following:
    $\left (3-\frac{2}{3}\cdot \frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2}\right )=\left (3-1, \frac{3}{2}\right )=\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ and $\left (3-\frac{2}{3}\cdot \frac{9}{2}, \frac{9}{2}\right )=\left (3-3, \frac{9}{2}\right )=\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )$. The second derivative of $h(y)$ is $h''(y)=-8+\frac{8}{3}y$.

We have that $h''\left (\frac{3}{2}\right )=-8+\frac{8}{3}\cdot \frac{3}{2}=-8+4=-4<0$ and $h''\left (\frac{9}{2}\right )=-8+\frac{8}{3}\cdot \frac{9}{2}=-8+12=4>0$.

That means that $h$ has a maximum at $y=\frac{3}{2}$ and a minimum at $y=\frac{9}{2}$.

From that it implies that $f(x,y)$ has a local maximum at $\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ and a local minimum $\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )$, right? (Wondering)
  2. The second order condition is the following, or not? (Wondering)

$(x_0, y_0)$ is a
    • local maximum, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)<0 \ \text{ und } \ F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2>0\end{equation*}
    • local minimum, if\begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)>0 \ \text{ und } \ F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2>0\end{equation*}
    • saddle point, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2<0\end{equation*}
    • local maximum, local minimum or saddle point, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2=0\end{equation*}
      \end{enumerate}
    We have the following: \begin{equation*}f_x=2xy , f_y=x^2, f_{xx}=2y , f_{yy}=0 , f_{xy}=f_{yx}=2x\end{equation*} At the point $\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ we get the following:
    \begin{equation*}f_{xx}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )=2\cdot \frac{3}{2}=3 , f_{yy}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )=0 , f_{xy}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )=f_{yx}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )=2\cdot 2=4\end{equation*}

So, we get \begin{equation*}f_{xx}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )f_{yy}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )-\left (f_{xy}\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )\right )^2=3\cdot 0-4^2=-16<0\end{equation*}

That means that at $\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ we have a saddle point. At $\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )$ we have the following:
    \begin{equation*}f_{xx}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )=2\cdot \frac{9}{2}=9 , f_{yy}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )=0 , f_{xy}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )=f_{yx}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )=2\cdot 0=0\end{equation*}

We have that \begin{equation*}f_{xx}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )f_{yy}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )-\left (f_{xy}\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )\right )^2=9\cdot 0-0^2=0\end{equation*}

So, $\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )$ is either a local maximum or a local minimum or a saddle point. We don't get the same result as in the previous question about the kinf of the extrema because at the second order condition we don't use the constraint $3x+2y=9$, right? (Wondering)
  3. That means that the function has only extrema under the constraint $3x+2y=9$. The extrema that we found are not extrema of the whole function $f(x,y)$, right? (Wondering)
  4. We see the contour lines $f(x,y)=c$ for $c\in \{1,2,3,4,5\}$ and the constraint in the following graph:

[DESMOS=-5,5,-4,10]x^2y=1;x^2y=2;x^2y=3;x^2y=4;x^2y=5;3x+2y=9[/DESMOS]

What do we get from that graph? Can we get from there the extrema? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I am looking at the following exercise:

1. Detremine the extrema of the function $f(x,y)=x^2y$ subject to $3x+2y=9$.
  2. Prove also the second order condition. What kind is the extremum?
  3. Is this an extremum of the whole function $f(x,y)$?
  4. Draw the contour lines of $f(x,y)$ and the constraint.
That means that $h$ has a maximum at $y=\frac{3}{2}$ and a minimum at $y=\frac{9}{2}$.

From that it implies that $f(x,y)$ has a local maximum at $\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ and a local minimum $\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right )$, right? (Wondering)

Yes.
Additionally we have:
$$f\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right ) = 6$$
and
$$f\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right ) = 0$$

mathmari said:
[*] The second order condition is the following, or not? (Wondering)

$(x_0, y_0)$ is a
  • local maximum, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)<0 \ \text{ und } \ F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2>0\end{equation*}
  • local minimum, if\begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)>0 \ \text{ und } \ F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2>0\end{equation*}
  • saddle point, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2<0\end{equation*}
  • local maximum, local minimum or saddle point, if \begin{equation*}F_{xx}(x_0, y_0)F_{yy}(x_0, y_0)-\left (F_{xy}(x_0, y_0)\right )^2=0\end{equation*}
    \end{enumerate}

We can only apply it at points where $f_x = f_y = 0$.
I'm afraid that's not the case in $(2,\frac 32)$. (Worried)

mathmari said:
That means that at $\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right )$ we have a saddle point.

I'm afraid we don't, since that point is not a critical point of $f$. (Shake)

mathmari said:
[*] That means that the function has only extrema under the constraint $3x+2y=9$. The extrema that we found are not extrema of the whole function $f(x,y)$, right? (Wondering)

Actually, if we find the critical points of $f$ without constraints, we'll see that the lines $x=0$ and $y=0$ both consist entirely of critical points. The function has a minimum in all those points with value $0$.

mathmari said:
[*] We see the contour lines $f(x,y)=c$ for $c\in \{1,2,3,4,5\}$ and the constraint in the following graph:

What do we get from that graph? Can we get from there the extrema? (Wondering)

We can see that the line touches the contour lines at $(2,\frac 32)$, which is where we have a maximum on the line with value $6$.
And we can see that the line crosses the contour lines in the bottom of a valley at $(0,\frac 92)$, which where we have a minimum with value $0$.

It would help to plot the function of $h$ that you find, since that will show how the extrema relate. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Additionally we have:
$$f\left (2, \frac{3}{2}\right ) = 6$$
and
$$f\left (0, \frac{9}{2}\right ) = 0$$
We can only apply it at points where $f_x = f_y = 0$.
I'm afraid that's not the case in $(2,\frac 32)$. (Worried)
I'm afraid we don't, since that point is not a critical point of $f$. (Shake)
So when we find a critical point for $h$ the respective point for $f$ is not necessarily a critical point? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Actually, if we find the critical points of $f$ without constraints, we'll see that the lines $x=0$ and $y=0$ both consist entirely of critical points. The function has a minimum in all those points with value $0$.

Ahh, these are the roots of $f_x$ and $f_y$. (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
We can see that the line touches the contour lines at $(2,\frac 32)$, which is where we have a maximum on the line with value $6$.
And we can see that the line crosses the contour lines in the bottom of a valley at $(0,\frac 92)$, which where we have a minimum with value $0$.

I ot stuck right now... How can $(2,\frac 32)$ be a maximum but not a critical point? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
It would help to plot the function of $h$ that you find, since that will show how the extrema relate. (Thinking)

The graph of $h$ is the following:

[DESMOS=-5,10,-10,10]9x-4x^2+\frac{4}{9}x^3[/DESMOS]

From that we get that a local minimum at $y=4.5$ and a local maximum $y=1.5$, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So when we find a critical point for $h$ the respective point for $f$ is not necessarily a critical point? (Wondering)

Indeed.

mathmari said:
Ahh, these are the roots of $f_x$ and $f_y$. (Thinking)

yep

mathmari said:
I ot stuck right now... How can $(2,\frac 32)$ be a maximum but not a critical point? (Wondering)

Suppose we're walking on a mountain. Its only critical point is at the very top where the ground is horizontal yes?
Now suppose we're walking on a road that is on a mountainside. Then at some points that road can be level can't it? Even though the mountainside is not horizontal.

mathmari said:
The graph of $h$ is the following:

From that we get that a local minimum at $y=4.5$ and a local maximum $y=1.5$, right? (Wondering)

Yes.
Additionally we can see that neither of them is a global extremum.
Comparing it with the contour graph, we can see that the minimum corresponds to a road that traverses the bottom of a valley.
And the maximum corresponds to a road on a mountainside that reaches some highest point after which it goes down again. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Indeed.

So, every time we apply that method, i.e., solving the constraint for one variable and finding the extrema of the function of one variable that we get, do we have to check at the end if the points that we get are indeed roots of $f_x$ and $f_y$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, every time we apply that method, i.e., solving the constraint for one variable and finding the extrema of the function of one variable that we get, do we have to check at the end if the points that we get are indeed roots of $f_x$ and $f_y$ ? (Wondering)

Usually we're only interested in the extrema with the constraint. The extrema without the constraint are usually different and of no particular importance. (Thinking)

1. How do you determine the extrema from a graph?

To determine the extrema from a graph, you need to identify the highest point (maximum) and the lowest point (minimum) on the graph. These points will be the extrema.

2. What is the purpose of finding the extrema from a graph?

The purpose of finding the extrema from a graph is to identify the critical points or turning points of a function. This can help us analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions.

3. Can we have more than two extrema on a graph?

Yes, it is possible to have more than two extrema on a graph. A function can have multiple local maximum and minimum points, which will appear as extrema on the graph.

4. Is it possible to find the extrema without a graph?

Yes, it is possible to find the extrema without a graph by using mathematical methods such as taking the derivative of the function and solving for critical points. However, a graph can provide a visual representation of the extrema.

5. How can we use the extrema to make predictions about the function?

The extrema can give us information about the behavior of the function. For example, a local maximum can indicate a peak or a point of saturation, while a local minimum can indicate a valley or point of stability. These can help us make predictions about the behavior of the function in different scenarios.