Functions: Input of a function is another function.

In summary, a function can be inputted as another function. For the given function h(x) = 2x - 5, the simplified expressions for h(4x) and h(2x+3) and h(x/2-1) are 8x-5, 4x+1 and x-6. To understand this concept better, you can refer to websites that explain function composition and provide proofs for it. Essentially, the argument of the function is replaced with the new function in the definition of the original function.
Joked
The input for a function can be another function. If h(x) = 2x - 5, determine a simplified expression for each of the following.

a) h(4x) b) h(2x+3) h(x/2-1)

h(x) = 2x - 5For a) h(4x) it can be h(4x) = (4)2x - 5 = 8x -5 however I am not sure why the 4 was not applied to the -5 also.

I am not sure how to solve this problem. If anyone could give me a link to a website that explains it and gives a proof for it, I would appreciate that act very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up function composition for details.

The basic ideas is that the argument of your function is evaluated at the new function, that means replace the x of f(x) as they appear in the definition of your f(x) with the other function g(x) or f(g(x)).

Thank you Pyrrhus

I looked it up some more and it clicked.

I do not know how to close a thread.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that takes in an input and produces an output. It is represented by a set of rules or equations that relate the input to the output.

2. What is an input of a function?

The input of a function is the value that is put into the function. It is also known as the independent variable because it is not affected by any other variables in the function.

3. Can the input of a function be another function?

Yes, the input of a function can be another function. This is known as a composite function, where the output of one function becomes the input of another function.

4. How is the input of a function represented?

The input of a function is typically represented by the variable x, but it can also be represented by any other letter or symbol. It is placed inside parentheses after the function name.

5. What is the purpose of using a function as an input?

Using a function as an input allows for more complex and dynamic relationships between variables. It can also help to simplify and condense equations that would otherwise be lengthy and difficult to solve.