1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    I'm looking for a book to really help hit home what my fluids class is teaching because I'd like to eventually learn the Navier Stokes Equation.

Syllabus:
    1. Introduction, definitions, fluid kinematics
    2. Hydrostatics, including nanometers, Bourdon gauges and pressure transducers
    3. Control volume equations for continuity, linear momentum, angular momentum, and energy; Bernoulli's equation; includes pitot tubes, Venturi meters, orifice meters and hot wire anenometers
    4. Differential continuity and momentum equations
    5. Dimensional similitude and model testing
    6. Viscous flows, pipe flows
    7. Boundary layers, lift and drag
    8. Potential flow, superposition, numerical solutions
    9. Compressible flow

Could anyone recommend a book that follows these topics and prepares me for Intermediate Fluid Mechanics?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2
    Hi!

You should try Cengel's Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications or Frank White's Fluid Mechanics. They are very similar and suited for what you need.

4. Apr 22, 2016 #3
    I second the recommendation for Cengel's book. I've been through various portions of Cengel's textbook, White's textbook and Munson's textbook. I found Cengel's to always be the clearest. I feel the other two expect thermodymamics to be either studied prior, or in parallel. My civil eng course, didn't require thermo, which leads me to recomend Cengel.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. Apr 24, 2016 #4
    I should also mention that the course's book is Munson's and I will be studying Theromdynamics in parallel with Moran's book

6. May 14, 2016 #5
    i recommend MUNSON among other textbooks because it is easy to understand , well organized, excellent problem sets and the book is supported by videos that some explanation based on it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted