Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics

In summary, for someone looking for a book that covers the topics of fluid mechanics and prepares them for a specific course, Cengel's Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications, Frank White's Fluid Mechanics, and Munson's textbook are all recommended options. However, Cengel's book is particularly clear and well-suited for someone without prior knowledge of thermodynamics, which may also be studied in parallel with the course. Additionally, Munson's textbook offers excellent problem sets and is supported by helpful videos for further understanding.
gstroot
I'm looking for a book to really help hit home what my fluids class is teaching because I'd like to eventually learn the Navier Stokes Equation.

Syllabus:
1. Introduction, definitions, fluid kinematics
2. Hydrostatics, including nanometers, Bourdon gauges and pressure transducers
3. Control volume equations for continuity, linear momentum, angular momentum, and energy; Bernoulli's equation; includes pitot tubes, Venturi meters, orifice meters and hot wire anenometers
4. Differential continuity and momentum equations
5. Dimensional similitude and model testing
6. Viscous flows, pipe flows
7. Boundary layers, lift and drag
8. Potential flow, superposition, numerical solutions
9. Compressible flow

Could anyone recommend a book that follows these topics and prepares me for https://mechanical.illinois.edu/courses/tam-435-intermediate-fluid-mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

You should try Cengel's Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications or Frank White's Fluid Mechanics. They are very similar and suited for what you need.

I second the recommendation for Cengel's book. I've been through various portions of Cengel's textbook, White's textbook and Munson's textbook. I found Cengel's to always be the clearest. I feel the other two expect thermodymamics to be either studied prior, or in parallel. My civil eng course, didn't require thermo, which leads me to recommend Cengel.

Last edited:
I should also mention that the course's book is Munson's and I will be studying Theromdynamics in parallel with Moran's book

i recommend MUNSON among other textbooks because it is easy to understand , well organized, excellent problem sets and the book is supported by videos that some explanation based on it

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a subfield of physics that studies the motion of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas. It is concerned with understanding how fluids behave under various conditions, such as flow, turbulence, and pressure.

What are the fundamental principles of fluid dynamics?

The fundamental principles of fluid dynamics are conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern the behavior of fluids and are the basis for understanding and predicting fluid flow.

What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many real-world applications, including aerodynamics (study of air and gas flow), hydrodynamics (study of water flow), weather and climate prediction, design of aircraft and vehicles, and understanding the flow of blood in the human body.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly movement of fluid particles, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic and irregular movement. Laminar flow occurs at low speeds and is often seen in viscous fluids, while turbulent flow occurs at high speeds and is commonly seen in less viscous fluids.

What are the governing equations of fluid dynamics?

The governing equations of fluid dynamics are the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy for a fluid. These equations are used to solve for the velocity and pressure fields of a fluid in motion.