Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Further Evidence of a 3.5 keV line in Galactic X-Ray Spectra

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    That pesky 3.5 keV line just won't go away. The authors note that it's compatible with dark matter composed of 7.02 keV sterile neutrinos. If such is the case, the Majorana mass scale of the seesaw mechanism needn't coincide with the GUT scale (if such a scale even exists).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If something simply stays, instead of getting a larger significance with more detailed observations, it is probably not real.

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3
    Intriguing.
    I often wonder if the reason we haven't yet detected DM is that (like gravitational waves) our detectors simply weren't able to detect the particles being screened out by the Earth's atmosphere, or not sensitive enough at specific wavelengths for whatever reason.
    Ironically one of the early Russian Mars probes might have seen this, had bad ICs not doomed it to a lonely demise in deep space.

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Gravitational wave detectors were not expected to see anything before aLIGO. There was some hope to have violent events close enough, but the non-observation was totally within expectations. This has nothing to do with any screening effect, it is just the sensitivity limit. LIGO and aLIGO look in the wavelength range where the strongest gravitational waves are expected thanks to black hole mergers.

Dark matter cannot interact with Earth strong enough for any screening effect (otherwise it would not be dark!). The experiments cover the whole relevant mass range, so the coupling strength is the open question. If the coupling is very weak, we need better detectors.

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5
    My 6th sense is Ecstatic ! I'd been coming up to speed on sterile neutrino (`Sterino') physics in 2015, only to read that it was DOA in the total absence of evidence. Now the incredible possibility is that if a Sterino triplet exists, not only is it trivially incorporatible into the SM, but it's the basis for models in which the Higgs field is the driver of inflation. Boyarsky et.al., the original discoverers of the 3.5 Kev line, saw their result picked apart & pretty much discarded.
    Now it returns stronger than ever, with the added bonus of a viable 7 Kev DM candidate.
    I expect confidence in this new result to grow, not wither & fade.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted