1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further noise reduction techniques ontop of Savitzky-Golay FIR filter

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Hi PF Designers,

Wasn't too sure if this would belong in the Electrical engineering forum but here goes.

I'm designing a prototype for my thesis that will read in sensory data wirelessly to a matlab script. This sensory data is riddled with noise, however important data is contained in the High frequency components of the signal as well.

Hence I was naturally going to use a Savitzky-Golay FIR filter in matlab. However I was wondering if I could perform further noise reduction techniques on top of this and still preserve the high frequency component that I saved.

Thoughts, dilemmas, discussion, tid bits of help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Do you have any theoretical model?

If so there are many thechniques (e.g. kalman filter).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalman_filter

If not, instead of using S-golay, you can try building a specific LP filter and play with the threshold frequency

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know the form of your input data, then a Wiener filter will give you the theoretically optimum SNR at the output. For white Gaussian noise you can implement the optimal filter as a matched filter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?