Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can one move from Inertial to Magnetic Confinement?

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    Hello all, my question is related to graduate school topics and future postdoc possiblities.
    I'm a double major in electrical engineering and physics and have been doing plasma physics research as an undergraduate for roughly the last two years, with the last summer I played a part in installing a diagnostic onto the MAST tokamak at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy. My current advisor says it's not necessarily a good thing to marry yourself to the research you did in undergrad, but I'm very much interested in doing fusion plasma research in graduate school and as a career. Though the option to stay and continue my research that I'm doing now at my ugrad institution is open, I'm very much interested in going elsewhere for graduate school. Assuming I got into a grad school that focused on inertial as opposed to magnetic confinement fusion. My question would be how feasible is it to move from inertial/laser confinement to a magnetic/tokamak sort of focus from grad school to post doc (assuming I went to my reach school in question)? I'm interested in diagnostics, plasma instabilities, as well as plasma-material interactions if that plays a part in your advice. Thanks for any and all opinions on the matter.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
    I don't think it would be much of a problem, especially since you are already focused on the plasma aspect.If all you worked on was laser physics and didn't know anything about plasmas that might be a problem, but sounds like that is not the case :)

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    People can and do make the switch, but If you want a career in magnetic fusion, study magnetic fusion. If you want a career in inertial fusion study inertial fusion.

The two fields are really very different. A critical aspect of magnetic fusion is the magnetic field. The shape and quality of the magnetic field influences everything from stability, to transport, to even the plasma-material interface. In inertial confinement fusion, the magnetic field is tiny compared the dynamical pressure. As a result most ICF research ignores any and all dynamics related to the magnetic field.

Similarly shock dynamics are a critical aspect of inertial confinement. Yet they play little role in conventional magnetic fusion confinement concepts.

As a final comment on the difference between the two. A critical parameter in plasma physics is the plasma parameter, which is the number of particles in a Debye Sphere. In order for something to be considered a plasma you need a large plasma parameter, and thus a lot of particles in a Debye Sphere. At IFC conditions relevant to ignition, the number of particles in a Debye Sphere is less than one, thus the plasma parameter is small. So in ICF at ignition, you don't actually have a classical plasma. The technical name for this new state is "strongly-coupled plasma," but this is misleading, and you arguably have a totally different state of matter.

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4
    The low plasma parameter is due to the small debye length for ICF?

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5

Yes. The Debye length scales as [itex]n^{-1/2}[/itex] and the plasma parameter scales as [itex]n\lambda_D^3[/itex] which also scales as [itex]n^{-1/2}[/itex]. Both Debye length and the plasma parameter are small in ICF due to the large number densities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook